Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP 561 - No 450 mbit/sec connection on 5 GHz

Hi,

I just recently installed a brandnew WAP 561 as a main AP on my network but I have trouble getting a good connection speed and transmit rates from it. This is especially true on the 5 GHz band where I used to get a connection speed of 450 mbit/sec with my MacBook Pro (2011) and a data transmit rate of up to 30 MB/sec using a Broadcom chipset based router (as AP) with an OS firmware. With the WAP 561 the connection speed became highly volatile (even during connection), starting from 150 over 216, 243 up to max. 300 mbit/sec. The transmit rate varies from 12 to 15 MB/sec.

My radio 2 config is as follows: Mode 5 GHz 802.11n, Channel Bandwith 20/40 MHz, Primary Channel lower, Channel 36. The rest of radio 2 config is untouched and the AP is connected to a Cisco SG300-10 switch with gigabit uplink to my network. Firmware version is 1.0.4.2.

Any ideas on how I manage to get a 450 mbit/sec connection on the 5 GHz band and a higher data transmit rate with this device?

Thanks in advance

Christoph

2 Replies 2

boatanas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Christoph,

My name is Borislav and I am a member of the Cisco Small Business Support team.

When it comes to wireless there are many variables which play a role. I would like to go through the settings of your WAP561. Would it be possible to arrange a remote desktop session? I am available from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM CET.

Let me know at boatanas@cisco.com

Regards,

Borislav Atanassov

Cisco Small Business Support team

Borislav Atanassov
Cisco Small Business TAC

Hi,

now 6 months and a very minor Firmware version (1.0.4.4) later I have to admit that the problem itself is still far from being fixed. The connection speed and transmit rate of this device are still substandard. The mentioned client (MacBook Pro 2011) is still showing a very choppy connection (MCS rates go up and down while connected but almost never exceed 20). Furthermore the coverage provided by the AP is very disappointing considering the built-in hardward.

The reset to factory defaults that the Cisco Support suggested did not help in the long(er) run. Maybe Cisco can take a closer look at this AP, it's not just me having trouble with this device. It would be interesting for me to know if a new Firmware (containg an updated wireless driver) is going to be released in the near future. Last but not least: Is it advisable for me to open another ticket on the matter?

Regards