Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP-571 - Single Point Setup Channel Selection - Stuck on Ch6/36

OscarS
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Hoping someone might have an insight, I seem to be unable to get APs in our Single Point Setup cluster to use channels other than 6/36 and not sure what to try next.  If Single Point Setup 'Channel Management' is enabled this screen shows that all APs agree on channel 6/36 even after several days, and if Channel Management is disabled under Single Point Setup and APs select Auto on both radios' configs (verified as replicated by checking individual APs' configs) the monitoring page shows the same thing.  This happened under 1.1.0.3 and is still the same after an update to 1.1.0.5.

Channels 1 and 11 are considerably less busy than channel 6, similarly at 5Ghz channel 36 is a lot busier than the other options.  And yet all APs, whether set to local auto or Single Point Setup Channel Management auto, all seem to sit on channel 6 / 36.  Some even seem to disable their 2.4 GHz radio and only show a 5GHz channel on the Single Point Setup Status page of the Monitoring tab.  Enabling Spectrum Intelligence (after using a legacy browser that supports Flash) shows that other frequencies are indeed considered better than 6/36.  Have tried enabling debug logging but i don't see any events relating to channel selection.

Can see behaviour similar to this as having been raised under a previous firmware (CSCvn36130) and several community posts but I can't see any update to them or subsequent firmware revisions where this behaviour is addressed.  Someone else when raising that this wasn't working for them under 1.1.0.3 was told to update to the latest firmwares as there were significant updates, but no subsequent update's release notes make mention of addressing this behaviour and as stated I believe 1.1.0.5 at this time is the latest firmware publicly available for the WAP-571.

Please can anyone advise if there's something I've missed, if this is a known issue with a workaround or being worked on etc, or if automatic channel selection should not be used in clustered environments?

Thanks very much for any thoughts you may have on this behaviour.

Kind regards,

OscarS

3 Replies 3

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I'd say you've done a fairly good analysis @OscarS 

I think your only option is to contact Cisco support now.

As a workaround can you set the channels manually?

OscarS
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

It looks like you can set it to AUTO and it actually choose a channel by itself only if it's not part of the SPS cluster.  I don't believe I have a support contract for these 'Small Business' devices and in typing the serial number into the ticket creation page it says that there's no support on them, how should I set about raising this fault/query with Cisco can anyone advise?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

OscarS

JasonReg416LGK
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry to revive an old thread but I am trying to do the same thing with three WAP571s in a single point setup cluster.  All are on channels 6 and 36 despite these being very congested in my area.  Did anyone ever find a fix here?