Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP 581simple configuration

Cedric973
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Anybody knows how to configure a WAP 581? (the cisco support doesn't...)

I simply want to connect a device on the wifi (5 or 2,4) and have an ip address given to the device.

I can connect but i have no IP. How to activate DHCP and choose the class of address given?

Regards

Cedric

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cedric973
Level 1
Level 1

I managed to get a reponse from the cisco support.

The answer was to give the same VLAN number as the one from the original network (usually 1)
In admin interface select
Wireless/Networks/Radio 1/Virtual Access Points (SSIDs)/VLAN ID (1)
Wireless/Networks/Radio 2/Virtual Access Points (SSIDs)/VLAN ID (1)

I don't realy understand why but it works and give to the devices connecting through wifi an IP adresse in the same range as your initial VLAN

Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

CoreyP319
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Cedric,

Within the configuration wizard, there is a DHCP section but this is for the device itself. See step 5 of this article for more info:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/wireless/cisco-small-business-100-series-wireless-access-points/smb5851-configure-setup-wizard-wap125-wap581-web-utility.html

Thank you for your help. I saw this section and yes it is apparently only for the device itself. I m still looking for a way to get IP adress for the devices that are connecting throught wifi tp the WAP... still did'nt find it

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Cedric,

The Cisco WAP581 does support VLANs and VLAN to SSID mapping, however, it can't operate as a DHCP server. It can be only a DHCP client. Your wireless end device would get an IP address from a DHCP server located on a router/security appliance or L3 switch that your WAP581 is connected to. Full technical specifications are available at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/small-business-500-series-wireless-access-points/datasheet-c78-738872.html 

Hope that information would be of help.

Thanks,

Martin

Thank you for your answer but it does not help.

I m still trying to figure out out it works. everything is very confusing compared to other wifi devices. Normaly there is a place somewhere in admin where i tell the machine which IP sub-network i want for the client that connects.

If this WAP 581 is letting another DHCP server to do it where to i tell the WAP 581 the correct address to look for? How do i configure that for each VLAN?

Cedric973
Level 1
Level 1

I managed to get a reponse from the cisco support.

The answer was to give the same VLAN number as the one from the original network (usually 1)
In admin interface select
Wireless/Networks/Radio 1/Virtual Access Points (SSIDs)/VLAN ID (1)
Wireless/Networks/Radio 2/Virtual Access Points (SSIDs)/VLAN ID (1)

I don't realy understand why but it works and give to the devices connecting through wifi an IP adresse in the same range as your initial VLAN

Thanks for your help

Hi Cedric,

I am glad you managed to fix the issue. That one with the VLAN is more than obvious. If the WAP581 SSIDs are mapped to VLANs IDs that do not match your network, you'll not get any connectivity. Each VLAN/network is given a scope/range of IP addresses and usually, a DHCP server is enabled for this VLAN to provide IP addresses dynamically to end clients. 

Reading your initial concern it looked like you are missing a major element of your network like a router that actually acts as a DHCP server which apparently was not the case.

Regards,

Martin