cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP125 DHCP data flow

David30
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a data-flow diagram or other useful description of the process involved in servicing a DHCP request from a wireless device?  The WAP125 Admin Guide describes the meaning of various configuration parameters, but I couldn't find anything more like a Principles of Operation, and would be grateful for any help at all.

For example, does the AP relay DHCP requests & responses between wireless client and DHCP server in a transparent fashion, or does it act more as a proxy?

David L.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Standalone Access Points does not act as proxy for DHCP service. Wireless lan controller does depending on how it is configured.

For standalone AP clienst will place DHCP request on the wireless interface and this will be send to DHCP server as user data.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi

Standalone Access Points does not act as proxy for DHCP service. Wireless lan controller does depending on how it is configured.

For standalone AP clienst will place DHCP request on the wireless interface and this will be send to DHCP server as user data.

Thanks, Flavio, that's probably the answer as I'd been assuming it worked as a low-level proxy (it's not a critical problem yet and I haven't yet checked).  Presumably the DHCP request carries the MAC address of the user's mobile device, which is easy to forge.  Just as a suggestion, perhaps the Admin manual should include a chapter describing the network-security considerations you mention.

I'll cross post a link here in Jeffery Girard's post at https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-wireless/wap125-clients-unable-to-obtain-an-ip-address-through-wap/td-p/3705871

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: