Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP2000 and RV042

aaronjesser
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a current network setup using the RV042 as the primary router (DHCP server).  I purchased 2 WAP2000 Access Points with the hope of setting up two wireless networks for client and guests.  I thought that the RV042 supported VLANs like it's big brother the RV082, but unfortunately it does not.

I see that the WAP2000's support multiple SSID and vlans but I am not sure how this can help me with the RV042.

Is there any way to setup a client network and a guest network using the RV042 and WAP2000's?  Would I need to get another router involved?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yeah, pretty much you would be natting the connection from the rv042 to the wrvs4400n and utilizing the wrvs4400n for the ability to handle vlans.

The rvs4000 is the same as the wrvs4400n without the wireless capabilities.

Either way, you need a vlan capable router either inplace of the rv042 or behind it for what your wanting to do.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Aaron,

Unfortunately, with the rv042 will not support vlans.  I would get a wrvs4400n that supports multiple ssids, and then you can use an access point with mutliple ssids for better coverage.

Thank you.

Just to confirm, the WRVS4400N would sit on my existing network and work in conjunction with the RV042.

I could then use it to segment the traffic from the Guest network so it doesn't interact with the office network?

Would a wired router do the same? Such as the RVS4000?  Or could i step up the RV042 to an RV082 and take advantage of the vlans?

Thanks again.

Yeah, pretty much you would be natting the connection from the rv042 to the wrvs4400n and utilizing the wrvs4400n for the ability to handle vlans.

The rvs4000 is the same as the wrvs4400n without the wireless capabilities.

Either way, you need a vlan capable router either inplace of the rv042 or behind it for what your wanting to do.

Hope this helps.