Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP321 2.4ghz or 5ghz

jdempseyajns
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was discussing the WAP321's roaming in this thread https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2192532?tstart=0 but wanted to move the discussion to wether I should use 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

It's a real shame that this device does not support dual band but since it does not I'm curious if people choose to go with 2.4 or 5. I did a google search and it seems people are sticking with 2.4ghz.

Any real world experience with this access point where you choose one or the other and why? I'd appreciate any info. I'm planning on a cluster of 6 to 8 of them.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

I agree it would have been good if this device supported both 2.4 and 5 Ghz. I am glad to report that there is a device in development that will be release sometime in 2013 (WAP561) that has the dual radio and can support both simultaneously.

You are correct currently most people are sticking with 5 Ghz because that is what is most prevalent on the market currently and what most people currently are using in their infrastructure.

I have helped several start up organizations add 5 Ghz to their infrastructure, but the concern with going all 5 Ghz is if there is the possibility that devices not compliant with your current wireless requirement needs access, (Vendors, visiting guest, etc.) do not have 5 Ghz clients in their devices the only recourse for them is to hard wire into the company network. Which would require additional labor to ensure that those ports are segregated on the network, more so than just setting up a guest SSID and VLAN. 

I hope this helps in your decision. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866 ext 601027

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

That's good to know about the WAP561.

Except that the WAP561 costs more than DOUBLE the 321.  I can't help but wonder if companies wouldn't be better off buying 2 x 321's based on the 561's cost?  At least that way if one were to die you'd be able to use the other on 2.4 (which is the bandwidth available on the most devices today) while you waited on a replacement.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: