Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP321 active clients per cluster

Helmeczi Zoltan
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Support,

Please give me deatiled information about the "active clients per cluster" parameter of a WAP321 AP.

Datasheet says  active clients per cluster = 80, but i find a presentation where this number is 160 (attached). ???

Another question is, What if i have only 5 WAP321 (not the maximum 8pcs) in my cluster?

How much clients can connect to the cluster at the same time? (20 pcs/AP and 50/cluster or 20 pcs/AP and 80/cluster?)

Other qestion: The information exchange between APs  on the same cluster happens wired or wirelessly?

(for examlpe automatic channel selection, or when i config a parameter one of the AP, then this is updated on all the other APs)

Best regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Sir, Thank you for commenting back. If you would look at the Datasheet again it does confirm what I mentioned here. There are two section: performance mainly deals with the Access Point by itself, Up to 32 connective and 20 recommended. The 80 that you refer to is from the Multi-Access point section from when you have this access point set in a cluster.

Performance

Wireless throughput

Data rate =300 Mbps; actual client throughput will vary.

Recommended user support

Up to 32 connective users, 20 active users

Configuration

Web user interface

Built-in web user interface for easy browser-based configuration (HTTP/HTTPS)

Multi-Access Point Management

Single Point Setup

Yes

Maximum access points per cluster

Active clients per cluster

As to the the RV router family, if you would like to tell me which problems exactly you are referring to I would be happy to try and address them for you.

Eric Moyers

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hello, thank you for contacting us here in the Small Business Community Forums.

Those numbers can be very confusing, I will try to break it down for you.

APs / Radios per ClusterActive Clients per ClusterMax Clients per Cluster
WAP 1004/44064
WAP 3008/8160256
WAP 50016 / 32480 / 9601024 / 2048

WAP 100 Series can have 4 APs (radios) in a Cluster. It is recommended to only have 40 Active Clients or 10 per AP. But should be able to handle up to a Max of up to 64 clients or 16 per AP.

WAP 300 Series  can have 8 APs (radios) in a Cluster. It is recommended to only have 160 Active Clients or 20 per AP. But should be able to handle up to a Max of up to 256 clients or 32 per AP.

WAP 500 Series, This one is a little different since it has two radios. Radio 1 can do 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. Radio 2 only does 5 GHz.

If you use Radio 1 as a 2.4 GHz Radio then each Radio has to be in separate clusters and each can have 16 APs (radios) in a Cluster. It is recommended to only have 480 Active Clients or 30 per AP. But should be able to handle up to a Max of up to 1024 clients or 64 per AP.

If you use Radio 1 as a 5 GHz Radio then you can put both Radio 1 and 2 form the same AP in a cluster, which in effect doubles your numbers for that AP. They then can have 32 APs (radios) in a Cluster. It is recommended to only have 960 Active Clients or 60 per AP. But should be able to handle up to a Max of up to 2048 clients or 128 per AP.

The information exchange through the cluster is through the wired and that is why each AP in the cluster must be hardwired into the network.

I hope this has answered your questions. If nor or if I can help with anything else, please let me know.

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Eric Moyers | Cisco Technical Support |
Wireless and Surveillance Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered 

Hi Eric!

Thank you for your answer! 

("WAP 300 Series  can have 8 APs (radios) in a Cluster. It is recommended to only have 160 Active Clients or 20 per AP. But should be able to handle up to a Max of up to 256 clients or 32 per AP.")

I suspected that this would be the answer.

But its very annoying yet, that the datasheet says 80 active client, because its not a recommendation in this document. (datasheet) And unfortunately cant have 160 devices to test this...

But there it is. Seems like things are not goes well in Cisco SMB division.

look at for example the RV router family and their problems...

Best regards,

Zoltán

Hello Sir, Thank you for commenting back. If you would look at the Datasheet again it does confirm what I mentioned here. There are two section: performance mainly deals with the Access Point by itself, Up to 32 connective and 20 recommended. The 80 that you refer to is from the Multi-Access point section from when you have this access point set in a cluster.

Performance

Wireless throughput

Data rate =300 Mbps; actual client throughput will vary.

Recommended user support

Up to 32 connective users, 20 active users

Configuration

Web user interface

Built-in web user interface for easy browser-based configuration (HTTP/HTTPS)

Multi-Access Point Management

Single Point Setup

Yes

Maximum access points per cluster

Active clients per cluster

As to the the RV router family, if you would like to tell me which problems exactly you are referring to I would be happy to try and address them for you.

Eric Moyers

Hi Eric!

About the WAP321:

I think you're true, my problem only the naming or appellation, because 

I dont know what means "active user" here, 

Can connect to the AP but cannot send data traffic, because the AP dont permit this? or what?

But it is OK now, you told me your opinions and I think you're true.

About the RV router family, for example RV042g:

How is it possible the Quick VPN to operate?
I tried in a lot of ways, and i've read a lot of config guides but no success.
Please help me if you can.

Thanks, Zoltán

For the RV042G, please tell me the

Operating system: win 7, Vista, etc. 

The bit, 32 bit or 64 bit

What errors are you getting or how far into the process?

Are the any errors in the Log.txt file? It can be found in the folder where that program installed.

Eric Moyers

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered 

Hi Eric!

Operating system: win 7,  64 bit

I attached my log file, where you can see what errors i got.

Usually this:

Verifying Network...
2014/08/05 16:13:11 [WARNING]Failed to ping remote VPN Router!

My apologies, the only thing I am able to see is the log entry:

Verifying Network...
2014/08/05 16:13:11 [WARNING]Failed to ping remote VPN Router!

I do not see the log file itself. If you would perfer you can email me directly. My email is my username @cisco.com.

I can give more instructions at that time, to set up some testing. If I can resolve your issue, I will get you to somebody else to assist you. 

Eric Moyers

Hi!

My log file is attached now.

And OK!, lets do some test!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: