cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP321 and Guest VLAN

swalters24
Level 1
Level 1

I am struggling to remember how to configure a small biz client of mine who just purchased four of these WAP321 APs. They want to have two SSIDs one being for private LAN access along with internet and one that can only access the internet. With that said I setup the private SSID to be on VLAN 1 (default or basically untagged) and the guest SSID on VLAN2. At this point my problem would lie in the fact that since that since packets on the guest SSID are tagged with VLAN 2 it is not going to receive an IP address from the DHCP server which is actually a Windows server on the private LAN. THis makes sense but I think in other situations I have simply utilized the layer 3 switch and setup a DHCP scope on the switch which leaves us without any need to access an internal DHCP server. Can this be configured on the WAP321 access points...ie provide DHCP services to a specified VLAN...in this case VLAN 2?

In either event, the switches are managable and have VLAN capabilities but no VLANs have been setup. Each ports sees all packets on any VLAN. What is the best way to set this up? Oh and the firewall/router is a medium end SonicWALL, not sure if that matters.

Thanks for any assistance in advance.

2 Replies 2

swalters24
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone?

Hi swalters24@yahoo.com, thank you for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan I am part of the Small business Support community. I apologize for the delay; in this case the server should be able to assign DHCP to Vlan2 once you setup the pool of address. I advise you to check all the devices if there are created the Vlan2, also check if there is any access rule for Vlan2.

If you assign multiple DHCP servers you can get few issues with the addresses. I advise you try to assign DHCP from one server to avoid any issues.

I hope you find this answer useful

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it”

Greetings, 
Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.
Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.