cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP321 - Captive Portal - explanations

info
Level 1
Level 1

It's my intention optimize our business WiFi network.

(see attachment for actual configuration)

Actually we don't have a "Guest" access.

Probably WAP321 should be the best solution for us.

We will need 3 WAP321 to cover offices area.

I have different questions/doubts about Captive Portal functionality.

1. using 3 different WAP321 everyone has the "captive portal" feature, or you can configure only one of the three the feature of "captive portal"?
  2. if is possible to configure only one of three the feature of "captive portal", the others WAP321 trusting the authentication?
  3. what is the ip address released from the "Captive Portal"?
  4. all Guest user have the same username and password?

Hoping in your help, sorry for my poor English and thanks in advance.

Nicola

1 Reply 1

michael.oconnor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Nicola,

1/2 - I have just bought one of these and been testing the captive portal functionality.  These APs are all independent, so you can have one configured with the captive portal feature, and the other two just using, for example, WPA2 authentication.

I think it's also worth saying that each of these APs can provide a SSID  for the captive portal network at the same time as a separate SSID for a  WPA2 authenticated network

3 - The IP address supplied to captive portal clients is usually one from your DHCP server.  This can be in a different DHCP server in a different VLAN if you want, but by default it will just be your usual DHCP server.

4 - You can configure three modes of operation for authentication. The first is that no authentication is required, users just see the captive portal screen and agree to your conditions of use with a check box, and they can surf.  The second is that they must enter a username and password from a local list you configure on the AP.  I'm not sure how many users you can have, but at least a few. The third is that the credentials are checked against a RADIUS server on your network.

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: