Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP321: How to configure 802.1x?

TheFlyingCorpse
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've configured both the RADIUS server and verifies EAP-TLS authentication via clients. This is however not 802.1x, I want to make the device work with 802.1x via the air to route clients properly. However as it is now, I am unsure on how to configure the device. I see many references in the documentation to set the mode to WEP and 802.1x for the SSID. I only have no encryption, WPA-Personal and WPA-Enterprise from the dropdowns. Adding in the 802.1X supplicant information (username, passord and .pem certificate from the CA with private key) did not change behaviour.

Thoughts on what I might be missing to get it working?

Regards

3 Replies 3

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Rune,

Thank you for reaching Small Business Support Community.

If you have already followed the 802.1X Supplicant configuration described in page 112, chapter 6, on the admin guide;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/wap121/administration/guide/WAP121_321_AG_en.pdf

All I can suggest you is to make sure you are running on the latest firmware release version 1.0.4.2;

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284152656&flowid=32563&softwareid=282463166&release=1.0.4.2&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

And then contact the Small Business Support Center to have a TAC engineer figure this out;

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Please do not hesitate to reach me back if there is anything I may assist you with in the meantime.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Hi,

I worked some on this issue over the weekend and I think I resolved it in a proper manner.

The 802.1x supplicant information on the WAP321 is to enable it to access already 802.1x enabled ports on a switch, ie its itself a device.

The WPA2-Enterprise is what one defines as (one of) the wireless network(s), with a properly configured RADIUS server, it will hand out and override any VLAN's in the air for the client on a per-device basis. This was the "revelation" that led me to the conclusion that enabling 802.1x over the air in the documentation is misleading in regards to the Open with 802.1x setting which is not available for selection on my WAP321.

Best regards,

Rune "TheFlyingCorpse" Darrud

puneelam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rune

I think the follwing will help you for configuring 802.1X . If you any future questions please contact me.

Configuration of 802.1X Authentication on WAP121 and WAP321 Access Points

Thanks

Punith Kumar Neelam

Please rate the useful posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: