WAP321 multi ssid with different VLANs DHCP issue

progressit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Setup a WAP321 with the new 1.0.1.10 firmware. Setup 2 SSIDS:

WIRELESS (vlan:1)

GUEST (vlan:99)

The wap is plugged directly into a port on my router so I configured the port and additional vlan99 port. I have a DHCP scope assigned on the router to both the port and port.99 interfaces.

clients on WIRELESS have no problem and work correctly, however when a client joins guest...a packet capture on the router port shows that a dhcp request is being received for the same MAC on both untagged and tagged 99 interfaces....thus it appears the WAP is not handling the vlans properly

16:07:10.566932 PortA, IN: IP 0.0.0.0.68 > 255.255.255.255.67: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 84:c9:b2:78:fc:31, length 331

16:07:10.566947 PortA.99, IN: IP 0.0.0.0.68 > 255.255.255.255.67: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 84:c9:b2:78:fc:31, length 331

This is pretty generic setup im trying to achieve here...surely im just doing something wrong??

Thanks

Court

3 Replies 3

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Court,

thought i would try to simulate the issue you are having , so put together a UC520 , SG3000-10P and the WAP321.  All these devices are VLAN aware.

I have the same firmware as you on the wap321. 

I had no issue adding VLAN 100 to WAP321, seems simple enough, with no traps for the unwary..

But since you mentioned a VLAN issue, I used the WAP321 internal packet capture utility to  see what was going on, specifically with vlan 100 . What follows is;

1. the wireshark capture ,
  2. WAP configuration.
  3. switch port  to VLAN configuration for VID=100  

I could see from the wireshark capture that the correct scope is getting to my wireless IP phone connected onto VLAN 100 via SSID=uc520-voice.

You will note the wireshark capture also displays the VLAN ID.  So i gotta think at this stage that there is something wrong with your network VLAN configuration.

I have my WAP connected to switch port 8 on my SG300-10P.  You will note that I have tagged switch port 8 as a member of VLAN 100.

I suggest to try the wonderful folks at SBSC to see/validate  if the WAP configuration is configured correctly .  But you have my example above.

When I added the extra Virtual AP1 called uc520-voice and assigned VLAN ID=100 to it, the AP automatically made the copper port of the WAP321 tagged in VLAN 100.

www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

regards Dave

Hi David,

Thanks for your detailed response, its greatly appreciated.

Court

Grant Drage
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I know this is a very old post but I was having the exact same issue on my WAP321 access points and i just found the solution, and whilst David's response below was comprehensive it didnt give a fix to the problem.

So i have management VLAN 12, VAP0 also on VLAN12 (and working fine), new VAP1 on VLAN17 wasnt getting any DHCP.

The fix (at least for me) was to go to LAN -> VLAN and IPv4 -> untick 'ENABLE' Untagged VLAN - i.e. ensure untagged traffic is disabled.

After doing this i lost management of the WAP so I changed the switch port its connected to, into a TRUNK port rather than access port and management was restored.

I then tested wifi on the two vlan's and that was now working.

Hope that helps someone.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: