cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP371 and DSCP 46

Piotr Kowalczyk
Level 1
Level 1

Just wander if somebody could help me to find answer for my problem. I mark IP packets on device connected (laptop’s WiFi NIC) to WAP 371 with DSCP 46 – so packet which ender AP is marked with Expected Forwarding value. Do I need to do anything else to make sure this packet will be prioritized and send out as soon as possible or it will work automatically? Will packed has the same DSCP value when exit AP or I have to mark it again on the device?

14 Replies 14

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

My name Eric Moyers. I am an Engineer in the Small Business Support Center.

Great Question. At this point the WAP does not know what to do with those packets. 

You need to configure QoS now on the WAP371. Chapter 7 of the admin guide, is a great starting point for this.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/wap371/administration/guide/1_0_0_10/1CSWAP371-SWUM100_1_0_0_10.pdf

If you need further assistance with this, please call the Support center and an engineer would be glad to assist you further. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your reply.

I've read the chapter 7 and nearly everything is clear. Only thing which I don't understand is how to set Policy Map to prioritize traffic instead of assigning CIR. 

What was your case number? Let me check on that.

Eric Moyers

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your reply – really appreciate this.

First I must say I really like Cisco WAP access points and I absolutely love cluster solution. After I installed couple of WAP 321 in few companies and WAP121 decided to ask that they will be only WiFi devices for small business which my company will sell. However so far I used to set standard features and rest like cluster were easy to set so I’ve never had to contact Cisco support.

Now I bought 3xWAP371 for more complex setup to network where Guest access and quality of service is required so went into problems which I hoped Cisco support would help. I was quite annoyed by engineers’ answers but after I realized they are only first level support - they tried to help but problems just were above their knowledge. I will describe them later if you are interested, however I don’t want to provide case numbers as they tried to help me.

At this point I’m glad you read forum and you know what I’m talking about so I will be happy if you could help me.

I’ve read documentation and few things are not clear on Policy Map and if you explain them the issue will be resolved for me.

I created Class Map which classify required traffic and now I need to create Policy Map which will give priority for this traffic. I have options

1. Committed Rate and Committed Burst – if I will set the options, does it mean only bandwidth will be reserved or also packets will have priority?
  2. Mark Class of Services, Mark IP DSCP, Mark IP Precedence – will they affect priority of packets going thorough Wireless or just mark them when they exit Access Point?
  3. If above doesn’t work, is any other way to prioritize packets?
  4. Should I disable Wireless QoS (if so how) if I cannot use VMM marking?

Once again thank you for your help.

Other issues with support:

1. I had to create separate VLAN for guest network so set firewall with native VLAN1 and tagged VLAN4. As I tested Firewall I knew the problem was in AP. I created Guest network using Setup Wizard but wasn’t able to get to internet from VLAN4 at all or ping gateway. I was getting proper DHCP address what surprised me. I’ve spent on day working with Cisco support but no results so decided to try to find solution myself. Eventually I found the problem was in Captive Portal (which didn’t work) what wasn’t expected so once disabled everything started working like should.
  2. One from our brand new Cisco power injectors died. I’ve logged the call but go answer first Cisco has to receive faulty one and then new one will be sent to us. I deal with DELL, HP, Lenovo, Fujitsu and few others companies and never, ever had policy like that. It was always send new to us and we send faulty back. I would have to wait just simply too long so decided to deal with supplier.

I was able to find your case. I wanted that in order to see what had been accomplished so far.

Committed Rate: It is the data rate that is guaranteed all the time for the user, regardless of the number of users present in the network.

Committed Burst: It is the maximum amount of data that can be transferred in the network.

Mark Class of Services: This categorizes all packets for the associated traffic stream with the specified class of service value in the priority field of the 802.1p header.

Mark IP DSCP: This categorizes all packets for the associated traffic stream with the IP DSCP value you select from the list.

Mark IP Precedence: It categorizes all packets for the associated traffic stream with the specified IP precedence value which is entered in the precedence value field.

The answers came from a Cisco knowledge base. It is also available for the public.

http://sbkb.cisco.com

Here are four article found there that will be of help to you. (Even though they mention WAP551/561, they are generic enough to still apply to the WAP371. 

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?pid=2&vw=1&articleid=4374

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?pid=2&vw=1&articleid=4338

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?pid=2&vw=1&articleid=4380

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?pid=2&vw=1&articleid=4376

I hope that this has answered your questions and helped you.

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Eric,

Thank you for your help.

I found above before. Maybe I'm not clever enough and don't understand things but could you clarify following please?

1. "Mark IP Precedence: It categorizes all packets for the associated traffic stream with the specified IP precedence value which is entered in the precedence value field."

Does it mean it set IP Precedence to packet and send it out of Access Point only or it actually set IP precedence to packed and process it according to it - so prioritize the packet?

2. When I set Committed Rate does it only reserve min bandwidth or also prioritize the packet?

It marks the associated traffic only. The associated traffic it marks is determined by the class map that you attach this policy map to.Your combination of ACL, Class Mapping and Policy Mapping is what will prioritize the packet.

The Committed Rate only deals with the bandwidth with this particular policy map. It does not specifically prioritize the traffic. Just tells how much bandwidth  it will be allowed.

Eric Moyers

Hi Eric,

Than you for reply.

So there is no way to prioritize traffic coming with DSCP 46?

I can select Class Map for DSCP 46 and then apply Policy Map but only action which I can actually apply is bandwidth settings?

It seems like your looking for a prioritize button or check box. But QoS in the whole is doing the prioritizing. 

You said you have packets marked coming into the WAP already with DSCP of 46. If you go through the article 4338: 

Configuration of IPv4 and IPv6 based Access Control List (ACL) on WAP551 and WAP561 Access Points

There you can configure a rule to give precedence to packets marked with 46. Instead of using "Match Every Packet", under Service Type you will find IP DSCP. There you can use "EF" or "Match to Value ".

This along with your configuration of Client QoS and your Policy Map should give you the prioritizing you are looking for.

Eric,

I’m really sorry but this completely doesn’t make any sense for me. It is clear how to select required traffic using Policy Map – I don’t have problem with this. I have problem to apply prioritization to this traffic as an action on Class Map. This article which you gave to me doesn’t show this as it provides a way to classify not apply action.

It took me one hour to find clear and relevant documentation for ASA 5505 which does exactly the same and I’ve already spent 2 days for the same on Cisco WAP371, which is way less complex device and no result.

It may be a quicker resolution to your questions if you call in and open a case with one of our Engineers. That way they can log into your AP with you and quickly go through the configuration.

Eric Moyers

Sorry Eric, this won't be quicker as I've already log the call a few days ago and still waiting for settings (just simple print screen). Last time when I gave engineer from support access to my laptop I was waisted one day of my time (and had to find solution myself) so won't do this again. If they are not able to send settings how they will be able to set them on my access point?

I guess I don't have any choice then give up on this. Very disappointed:-(

In a sense, QoS is a speciality, I would at least try again. Call 1-866-606-1866 you should be able to speak to different engineer.

Eric Moyers  

Hi Eric,

Could you help me please?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: