cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP371 is non reachable after some hours

fritsvo
Level 1
Level 1

I am supporting 3 sites with 12, 9 and 3 WAP371, each site they are set in single point setup.

At the site with 3 devices, 2 of 3 APs once a while drop down: They are not transmitting signal anymore and I can't reach them via the rj45 network anymore.

The logfile shows - nothing.

The other AP records "APx not reachable - left the comunity".

This can happen after 2h or after 36h of operation. (To avoid misunderstanding: they drop down independed - there is no timing link between these events).

After restarting (switching off/on PoE) gets them back working.

I am running FW 1.3.0.4

The 2 other clusters do not have this problem.

Hardware problem?

Volker

3 Replies 3

Hi,

Hardware problem or PoE problem as well. I´ve seen PoE does not providing enough power and AP disabling radio and crashing.

jonrodr2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My name is Jonathan and I am part of Small Business here at Cisco.

I apologize for any inconvenience with these units, can you let me know the following?

-As 2 out of the 3 units are failing, have you tested those 2 units by connecting them into the same port of the unit that works fine? this is to check if there might be any failure with the switch.

-As well have you tried with any other PoE source?

-Have you done any changes to the configuration on the radios?

-Is the problem with both signals 2.4GHZ and 5ghz or just one of them?

-have you done any factory resets?

-I would advise to open a case with us if the issue persists to help further and check if the RMA is needed. 

Thanks.

Hello Jonathan,

thanks for your questions. For the moment the situation seems to be stable since I changed the setup to switch-off PoE over night. No "hanging" APs for the last 3 days.
As this is a remote site for me, where I stay usually 1 day per month, it is difficult to try different setups. My first approach was the cabling, as this is quite old, but it wasn't.

When the AP fails, it is for both frequency ranges AND the LAN access. On the PoE switch I see a slight higher power consumtion (usually 10,5 W; in case of failure slightly above 11 W).

Difficult to say if the source of the problem is the switch (TP-link) or the CISCO WAP371.

If the situation stays stable with the "switch off over night" solution, then this is fine for me.
Keep you posted.

Volker