cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4400n - how to expand signal

raul
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WAP 4400n and need to expand the range.

Linksys support suggested WAP200 to repeat the signal, but I am probably missing something, because its not working.

WAP200 can see the WAP4400n, recognizes its MAC adress, but does not work.

Anything to set on the WAP4400n to let the signal to be repeated?

Thanks

11 Replies 11

V K Moorthy
Level 1
Level 1

In WAP 4410 allow the signal to repeated by repater (option under AP mode default).Also add the Mac address of WAP200 here.

My AP is WAP4400n not 4410......There is no such function there

Any other sugestion?

Thanks

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

Unfortunatly you are correct this device currently has no option for allowing its signal to be repeated.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
1-866-606-1866

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your answer.

Sorry to ask, but are you sure the signal can not be repeated? Linksys/Cisco support told me to buy WAP200 that should be the best way to repeat WAP4400n signal!!!!!

Any other sugestion?

Another way to expand/repeat the signal from WAP4400n?

What is your experience with WRE54g?

Thanks again,

Raul Moras

Hey Mr. Moras, No problem with asking questions to confirm. That is what we are here for.

When you called Linksys/Cisco support which number did you dial.

To use the WAP200, If it were possible, you would need to modify the wireless signal on the WAP4400N to only broadcast b/g only.

With the WAP4400N being an N Class Access Point, if it were possible, I would suggest to either use another WAP4400N or the WAP4410N.

The only thing I could suggest is if you have already bought the WAP200 is to use it as a separate AP. Basically two access point in two areas broadcasting different signals, but it still gives you expanded coverage.

I am familiar with th WRE54G, it is a consumer device and works best does pretty good job . The consumer group would be better suited answering any questions you may have on it. Their number is 1-800-326-7114

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
1-866-606-1866

lpiorkowski
Level 1
Level 1

The same thing happened to me...

I have a Cisco WRVS4400N router , Cisco managed switch, 3 WAP4400N AP's...using WPA2

I bought a wet200 to expand the WiFi signal from one of the AP so I could install another WiFi camera....the AP's are all in 3 connecting villas with thick cement walls otherwise the AP's have pretty good range. I was also told that this would work.

I tried to connect - did the search and found the correct AP with the correct channel and it did not work.

I then tried connecting it to my router (this router has a an option that you can connect a wet200 as a repeater)....but the router is just too far from the area i need the WiFi signal....I would have put a High gain Antenna I own on the router and run it up to my WiFi canopy tower... then the signal would have reached where i can put the WET200 ....but of course the antennas are not removable..

My network also has 2 nanostations that i bridge to a gaurdhose (50 meters).. but the nanostaions are for outdoors..

I wanted something wireless (don't want to bust cement to run a cable) as a WiFi repeater using WPA2 to the WAP400N ... i wanted to stay in the Cisco family...and i wanted something small....the "old" extender/repeater that Linksys has had on the market for years is only WEP. Cisco needs to offer the same thing only with the more secure WiFi security.

Did you find a Cico product that works??? from what I'm reading there aren't any.

Did you find another brand product to extend the signal???

thanks

Liza (Cancun)

Hello Sir,

The cement is going to be the problem in this scenario. If it weren't for that you would have the option to go with model # WRVS4400N V2  Wireless router with Model# WAP4410n Access point these two devices would give you the type of wireless connection that you need. If I'm misunderstanding the situation and you the type of access point that you need is for exterior, than your assessment would be correct. For that situation it would be hard to find a particular combination to fit your current need with a Cisco Small Business Device. We could have something on the enterprise level that would work I would have to check, if so cost would be considerably more for that device.

Fredrick A Wofford

Cisco Small Business

Hi

I appreciate your time..

Before I waste more time and money Best I ask a few questions... I have some equipment here that might be a work around... or maybe i bite the bullet and buy some new equipment (even though the Router and AP's are 6 months old)

I have 1 TrendNet Outdoor Antenna (TEW-AO19D), 2 TrendNet Outdorr antennas (TEW-AO14D - can be set-up point to point) and an extra nanostation2 - all I don't use now.

?? looking at workarounds ???
Can I connect my WET200 to my WRVS4400N router (WDS or AP???) - i can place it upstairs from my office (router location) drill a hole in the wall and run a cable up my tower 8 meters and place the TrendNet antenna 19db (the tower is where i have my wireless canopy (Motorola).. it's how i get my Internet. Then in the villa i want to put the FosCam IP camera i can place another WET200 near a window (i will have to buy one) and see if i can get the signal... will that work??

If that doesn't work then i bust some concrete run a cable from the 3 com Intellijack to the upstairs connect the WET200... or again bust concrete connect the nanostation instead of the WET200 up on the roof and connect the FosCam wired to the nanostation????

Or do i buy some new equipment...I have not had any issues... but i think i have a whole lot installed on my system.

I have 4 locations: my office, 3 connected villas (75 meters - wired to network) and a neighborhood guardhouse (100 meters - wireless nanaostation)

My network consist of:

WRS4400N Router

2 - Hp procurve manged 8 port switches (1 just for all VOIP equipment)

1 - Talkswitch PBX

2 - Vonage gateways

1 - Quintum VOIP gateway

4 - Polycom IP phones (1 in each of the 3 villas + 1 in neighborhood guardhouse 100 meters away)

1 - Snom IP phone base with 8 M3 phones (DETC)
1 - Synology NAS - DS210j
3 - Cisco WAP4400N AP's (one for each villa)

3 - 3 Comm Intellijacks manged switch (wall switch - 1 in each of the 3 villas)

1 - D-link DPR-2000 print server w/ 4 printers
1 - WiFi printer

3 - XBox's

2 - Ubiquiti Nanaostation2 (connects my network to neighborhood guardhouse 100 meters away)

3 - FosCam IP cameras (one I'm still trying to connect ....as you can see)

1 - Desktop

3 to 12 - laptops (depending on number of villa guest)

4 to 20+ IPhones, ipods, ipad, blackberry's, andriod's etc: (depending on the number of guest)

New router needs to be VPN...WAP-2... i would love to have DD-WRT.. doesn't need to be wireless i can always use one of these  AP's

I appreciate any suggestions or advise..

thanks again for your time.

Liza (Cancun)

I owned a WRVS4400N V2.0 that's placed on first floor, and the signal is very weak on the second floor at my house. I've been  trying to extend the wifi signal wirelessly/bridge by purchasing another WAP4400N according to WRVS4400N V2.0's FAQs at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9923/products_qanda_item09186a0080a39097.shtml

Q. What is Wireless Distribution System (WDS), and what is it used for?

A. The WDS feature only works with the first SSID that is setup in the WRVS4400N. Make sure that the channel and security settings are the same for all WDS enabled devices. WDS allows a wireless signal to be repeated by a repeater. This mode allows a wireless client to connect to the Router through a repeater, such as WAP4400N, WAP54GP, WAP54GPE, when it operates in Repeater Mode. This mode allows you to extend the coverage of the Router with up to three repeaters. Select Auto in order to enable the remote access point when in Repeater Mode or select Manual and enter the MAC address of the repeater.

After researching online, I found out that I need WAP4410N instead of WAP4400N. Damn it! Can't return the product because I purchased on eBay. Am I missing something here?

The WAP4400N does not have the WDS option available on it, the WAP4410N does have the WDS option.

THANKS

Rick Roe

Cisco Small Business Support Center

WDS option is exactly what I want. If I am able to run wire to AP (WAP4400N) to expand the wifi signal then it's not too hard to pull many more at the same time ... why bother to get this AP.  Thanks for your confirmation!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: