Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N Bridge Mode

pablosorella
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I want to configure two AP WAP4410N  in Bridge Mode and I don´t find the correct configuraction tips.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

11 Replies 11

Glenn Quesenberry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The instructions for setting this AP up into Bridge mode can be found on page 54 of the Admin Guide located here.

Best Regards,

Hi pablosorella and Glen

Any luck with configuring in bridge mode?

And for me more importantly - is the connection stable?

I am having an issue with stability. I have configured both WAP4410N units in Wireless WDS bridge mode and entered each others MAC address.

I get fine connectivity, but at some point the AP's looses connectivity. I have tried different channels and it did solve the issue.

Glenn - any ideas?

Best regards

Anker

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

WHat is the current firmware version of your WAP4410Ns? There was some issues similar to this with version 2.0.3.3. There is a new FW recently released 2.0.4.2 that has been fixing that issue. If you have not upgraded to this FW yet, please try that. Once you install it do a factory Reset and then reconfigure your settings.

Please come back and let us know if this worked or if you need futher assistance.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless
1-866-606-1866

Hi Eric

I updated the firmware and the problem persisted.

But I haven't performed a factory reset.

This done now and I have reconfigured the APs into bridge mode.

I will report back in a couple of days to inform you about the result.

Thank you for your quick feedback.

Best regards

Anker

Eric,

Has there been any progress on this issue?  I just purchased two new WAPs and they came out of the box with 2.0.4.2.  There don't appear to be any newer versions posted.  I am using them in WDS bridge mode to connect two small office buildings that are only about 50 ft apart.  I've tried every combination I can think of for encryption type and radio mode, but the connection drops about once a day.  It won't reconnect until I reboot both devices.

Thanks for the note.

There has been some progress. There is currently a beta FW in testing. If you don't mind being a part of the testing group, call in and get a case created. Once we collect a little information we can get you in touch with L2 you has control of that firmware and they can then work with you.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Hello Anker

I finally configured the two AP in Bridge Mode and I only proved the solution with a notebook user and the funtionality was correct.  In the future will have fifteen users behind the bridge.

I have measured the speed of that and it was of 11Mbps.

Can I rise up that speed?

Thanks

Pablo

Hi Pablo

I was also suprised by the low speed, but craigbeck's comment on may question on experts-exchange migth be an idea for you if you are going to have 15 clients passing data over the wireless bridge.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Wireless/Q_27142541.html

One can wonder about the low speed though - I mean the WAP4410N is 802.11N device that has a specification of 300mbps.

Best regards

Anker

Hi Anker

I can not see that link.

Hi Pablo

Sorry, my bad.

experts-exchange is a paid serivce!

but here is the comment that wanted to show you.

My question:

I am seeing very slow file transfer rates when working across a wireless bridge setup.

My setup is as follows:

2 WAP4410N Cisco AP configured in wireless WDS bridge mode.

Fileserver <-> switch <-> AP     AP <-> switch <-> windows 7 (wired)

There is connectivity and but the file transfer rates is around/below 1mb/sec. If I connect directly transfer rates are 20-40mb/sec.

Ping times are around 3-7ms but this drop to 500ms during file transfer.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.

best regards

Anker

craigbeck:

This is not an ideal setup for file-transfer.  The WAP4410N radios are not enterprise-class devices so throughput won't be great to start with.

What you are doing is never ever going to get anywhere near the 20-40mb/sec you mentioned by connecting directly as the radio throughput is far less than that.  Even though the radios are 54Mbps you will only ever get around 22Mbps actual throughput, then add environmental factors, interference, broadcast traffic, unauthorized association attempts and you could well be looking at 10-12Mbps which will translate to around 1Mbps data transfer - and that could be on a good day!

To ensure the link is as solid as it can be make sure there is nothing else on the same channel as your kit, use good directional antennas with low-loss cable (if cable is required), and keep the link as short as possible.  Also you might want to consider configuring the link as a point-to-point layer3 link by putting a router at each end to ensure that broadcast traffic is not saturating the link.

Hi Eric

I said that I would report back when I had performed an factory reset after the firmware upgrade.

Unfortunately the wireless WDS bridge still drops. It does so at least once a day.

I did a channel scan and there are several othernet works. Including a very large corporate network.

I selected the channel 11 which wifi-scan on the iphone recommended.

I have been wondering if corporate networks have rouge AP detection and can this be the reason for my setup is unstable?

Best regards

Anker

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: