cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N Continues to drop Connections after New Firmware Update

calberts73
Level 1
Level 1

Will Cisco ever get it right? I have 8 WAP4410N's and continue to have problems with them dropping connections periodically through out the day. We have programs that run across the the AP's and we cannot afford to keep losing data because they drop. Is there going to be another Firmware update anytime soon that will finally fix this issue. I have tried everything that has been prescribed and continue to have issues. 

14 Replies 14

customerlink
Level 1
Level 1

We are also having a similiar problem.  If I reboot the AP, it all seems to work again for a while.

I am at firmware version 2.0.4.2.

Is there a newer fw version?  If not, may go back a version to see if it's more stable.

Ozero I wouldn't go back a FW version that was even worse!

Chad,

I was planning on calling into Tech support.  Have you done that?  What was their response?

Ozero - Yes I did and they said to download the new firmware 2.0.4.2. Still having problems.

Chad,

For testing purposes, I created an additional SSID and specifed WPA2-Personal Mixed as the Security mode and so far the AP has stayed up.  I'm testing a couple devices with that SSID and neither SSID has dropped connections "yet" for about a day now.

Hopefully Cisco will have a true fix soon.

P.S.  I also changed the channel to something not being used in the area.

Chad,

Cisco support had me downgrade to version 2.0.3.3 and I've been running it a couple of days without dropping connections. If I continue to have problems, they said that they would RMA my unit.

Has there been any improvements/changes on your end?

Hi Chad,

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with the WAP's.  Can you tell me more about your topology?  Are they in repeater mode or all tied to the network as AP’s?  Also have you done a site survey to determine if there is any interference in your area?  A great tool that we use for testing here is inSSIDer.  I have included a link below.  This will tell you if you have competing wireless networks interfering with your WAP’s.

http://www.metageek.net/get_inssider_today/  

Jason

Hi Jason,

On a site that I manage, we also have this issue.

Generally after restarting the AP or even changing a wireless related setting (e.g. channel or mode) it remains stable for an hour or so. After that the signal (when viewed on my phone's wifi analyser) switches on and off at about 5 second intervals, and connecting to it from any device is impossible.

The AP is using the latest firmware 2.0.4.2 and is setup in Access Point mode.

There are 2 SSIDs using WPA2 - Personal

It is connected to a WRVS4400N that broadcasts the same SSIDs but on a non-overlapping channel (WAP4410N on CH11, WRVS4400N on CH6 although when the WAP4410N is set to CH1 the problem persists).

I'm pleased to say there have been no issues with the WRVS4400N.

When checking for interference at the position the WAP4410N is mounted, there's nothing detectable on the same channel.

I can send you the config backup file if you like.

Please help!

Regards,

Andrew

P.S. Just adding that it is powered by PoE, there's a VLAN configured and I believe this behaviour only arrived since firmware 2.0.4.2 was installed (although can't be sure of that).

Message was edited by: Andrew Rankin

I'm having the same problem with a 4410N.  It works fine for a while, then it stops accepting wireless clients.  A soft reboot from the admin screen fixes it for another while.  Haven't determined yet how long it stays up between reboots -- it's somewhere between a few hours and a few days.  Here's the strange part.  We have two older 4410N's and they work fine.  It's only this new one that malfunctions.  I called Cisco support and have returned the unit twice.  The first time it was replaced with a used Linksys-branded unit.  The latest replacement was new, still in shrink wrap.  Both replacements had the same problem as the original unit.  I guess I've had enough replacement units.  Wonder if Cisco can fix the one I have now?

All three of our 4410N's are configured in access point mode with the same SSID.  All three are plugged into an ASA5505 that has a VLAN dedicated to the wireless network.  I use NetStumbler to view competing wireless networks, and there is nothing out there causing interference.  All APs are using different channels.

More info:

PID VID:  WAP4410N-A V02 (found under Status, Local Network)

Two older units that work:

Serial: SER145200Y3

Serial: SER145200X2

New unit that has the problem:

Serial: SER153600ZW

Seems this WAP has always had this problem, judging from the many threads here about it.  Looks to me like the firmware got fixed at some point and then some new internal component broke it again.  Someone really needs to fix this.

Edit:

I was going over this again, and realized that the two WAP's that are working have firmware version 2.0.3.3, while the one that's not working has firmware 2.0.4.2.  I'm going to downgrade the new one to 2.0.3.3 and see if that helps.

O.K., that seems to have fixed my bad WAP.  I installed firmware 2.0.3.3 and it has been running fine for two days.  When it had 2.0.4.2 firmware, it stopped accepting wireless clients within 30 minutes.  I recommend trying 2.0.3.3 if you are having this trouble, especially if your serial numbers fall between those above.  Download is available from Cisco.  Look for the download button on this page:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10052/index.html

Hi Guys,

I had faced the similar issue. I am not sure about your topology but if you have connected your AP to any small plug and play switch, you have to define the port on the switch as Access point.

Cisco must be having the resolution.

Regards,

Rachna

Hi Rachna,

Mine has always been directly connected to a managed switch.

I've installed installed inSSIDer on a laptop and can see that there wasn't any other AP on the same channel at the time. If I restart the AP, then everything works fine for about a day or so.

Ozero,

did you define the port on the switch as access point. Which model of switch you are using?

Regards,

Rachna

Also,

- When the AP drops out which IP address you are seeing on the AP associated with the devices?

- How many devices are connected when th AP works and when stops, how many shows up with what IP?

Regards,

Rachna

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: