cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410n drops, hangs, etc.

s.landreth
Level 1
Level 1

We have 3 facilities that have Cisco WAP4410Ns.  Each has about 8-10 of these units.  They are all running POE using Cisco POE switches.  We have 2 SSIDs set up with VLANs etc.  The units work fine for a random amount of time, then they seem to hang.  They always broadcast both SSIDs and I can log in to the management side, ping them, etc. but when a client tries to connect, they get a cannot connect to the wireless network error even if I set a static i.p. on the client. 

The odd thing is that one SSID is for public use and one is for private use and the public side seems fine even when you can't connect to the private side.  This morning I came in and one of the access points was broadcasting but had a very weak signal.  Clients could not connect to it.  A reboot of the WAP always fixes it for a random amount of time and then it happens again.  It also happens randomly to each WAP.  I have the latest firmware, set them back to factory default, etc.  I did a wireless survey, all channels are good with no inteference. 

Again this is happening at 3 different locations so I am convinced it is the access point.  These are all medical facilites and a reboot of the WAPs causes a great deal of disruption when we have to do it.  I am very frustrated by these units and will probably never buy another one unless we can get these working with something resembling reliability.

Any help of suggestions would be greatly appreciated.                  

6 Replies 6

dale_bentley
Level 1
Level 1

Shannan,

See my post titled "Feedback for forum: WAP4410N lock ups - how we fixed!", posted 6 days ago.

We raised a support case with Cisco, did quick and simple tests they requested and then received a refund on all WAP4410Ns. Then we purchased the new simple WAP321s after getting a refund on your WAP4410s - we did this and for just a few dollars extra fixed our environment easily,

We struggled with this for 12 months and this was the only answer that worked.

Kindest regards,

Dale Bentley

Dale,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I ordered 3 of the 321s to test out.  I am going to put them in key areas and see if that resolves our issues.  If so I will try to get a refund from Cisco on the remaining ones.  Thanks again for the input.  I will update the thread and let you know how the test went.

Thanks,

Shannan

Shannan,

Good luck with the WAP321s, you have made the right move I believe.

We just needed applied the quick setup as our environment is just a one ssid wireless network, static IP of course and WPA2 security. The only thing I altered was changing Channel selection from Auto ti manually selecting the channel I wanted for each. We also implemented the Rougue AP feature.

You will be impressed with the granualarity you can use to configure these, much more professional than the WAP4410Ns

Re your existing WAP4410Ns, if you have any trouble with raising a case with Cisco, the testing and hopefully organising a refund please let me know. I have been down that track so can at least give you advice.

Cheers,

Dale Bentley

Well we are in to day two of the 3 new WAPs and so far so good.  We have not had to reboot one of the new units and they seem very stable.  Dale, when you sent the old units back did you have the original packaging?  I do not.  I am going to start a case with Cisco today to see if I can get the 4410s sent back.

I really appreciate all your help. 

Shannan,

Our originally packaging had long ago been disposed of, so just packaged them up and RMA'ed back to Cisco as instructed. Have received confirmation product has been accepted and refund made to nominated account.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dale.

jurodri3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

There is a previous forum that contains information useful about this issue.
Let me share with you the link:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3677115#3677115

I hope this information helps you.

Best regards.
Juan Diego Rodriguez
Cisco network engineer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: