cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410n LIMITED TO 130Mbs in N-mode

eruth
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WAP4410N-A V02 with firmware 2.0.4.2 for my office and the same at several client locations. The problem I see with all the units is that, for N-mode connections, the maximum reported connection speed is 130Mbs at both the WAP and the clients. Also, the clients' status page shows that only a standard channel (no wide channel) is in use. For info, all firmware upgrades/downgrades were accomplished by first resetting to factory default, applying the firmware, resetting to factory default and finally making the desired settings. The units were received with firmware v2.0.1.0 and were first upgraded to 2.0.4.2, then switched between 2.0.4.2 and 2.0.2.1 for the testing since the original firmware was not available on the Cisco site.

With firmware 2.0.4.2:

The WAP connects to the Cisco SG200-18 Gigabit switch at 1000Mbs.Wireless N connections report 130Mbs at the WAP and the clients.

My laptop's Intel Ultimate-N 6300 AGN card reports its transmit power as 32mw. This is the standard (and its max) value it uses when connected at wireless-G speed. (When connected in N-mode it transmits at ~10mw).

The Linksys-Cisco WET610N wireless bridge status page on 15 different computers reports only a standard channel in use and a connected bandwidth of only 20Mbs. All locations have no interference from other WAPs and are in relatively close proximity to the WAP4410N (signal level -40- to -50dbm).

With firmware 2.0.2.1:

The WAP connects to the Cisco SG200-18 Gigabit switch at only 100Mbs.

Wireless N connections report 300Mbs at the WAP and the clients.

My laptop's Intel Ultimate-N 6300 AGN card reports its transmit power as ~10mw (normal for N connections).

The Linksys-Cisco WET610N wireless bridge status page on the15 computers reports both standard and wide channels in use and a connected bandwidth of 40Mbs.

Other info:

No combination of settings changes the above described operation. This includes setting the WAP to N-only operation, switching the WAP's bandwidth setting between auto and 40Mbs, no security or WPA2-Personal-AES, etc. You name the combination and I have tried it.

It seems weird that the units report 130Mbs when a wide channel is not in use. I wonder if the overall issue has something to with the code that is applicable to MIMO and antenna selection?

I saw a couple of other discussions here noting the 130Mbs connection speed but those discussions appeared to raise no issue with it. I hope the info provided here helps Cisco solve this problem.

I would apprreciate any insight on this issue, including a response from Cisco.

0 Replies 0