cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N stops responding very often

xvillafuerte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we have 9 WAP4410N with PoE in our network. They were purchased on August. We found that very often in a week, they stop responding to any clients so they cannot get IP addresses, but we can ping the devices and enter the administration page. The only solution is to reboot the AP. I found some references to the same problem in the Cisco Forums and even some bad recommendations in Amazon.com about these APs, but now is too late and we need to found a solution.

We upgraded to firmware 2.0.3.3 but problem remains. We are completly sure that IP and DNS configurations are fine and that our switches and DHCP servers work fine, too. We have in the same LAN, APs 3COm from the 9150 series with no problems. These 3Com APs use the same network services that the 4410.

Currently we are testing the Force LAN to 100 Mbps option and using mixed encryption algorithms (AES and TKIP) because at the begining, we were only using AES. But, I feel that it is not a smart procedure because it is not based on any real fact; it is, may be a desperate choice.

In order to administer those APs, we normally connect at the night so we don´t affect anyone on the network. However, when I check the administration page, I can see that the utilization rate in all the APs is always more that 40%, and I am sure, nobody is using the AP at the night. Wierd. In a normal day, no more than 20 clients are connected to each AP.

Logs have no valuable information to use in order to find a solution.

So, any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Xavier Villafuerte

246 Replies 246

Hi Steve -- Thanks for participating in the Community. You will need to call the Small Business Support Center and open a case to start the RMA process. You'll find the international contact numbers at www.cisco.com/go/sbsc.

You can refer the support engineer to this thread if it helps.

Thanks,

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business

Hi Stephen,

All RMA's has to be done throught the Small Business Support Center.  If your product is within warranty I suggest calling the Cisco Small Business Support Center or do an online chat with a Cisco Small Business Support Center Engineer for help.

The phone numbers in your area are located here and to do an online chat with a Small Business Support Engineer go here.

Regards,

Cindy Toy

Cisco Small Business Community Manager

for Cisco Small Business Products

www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport

twitter: CiscoSBsupport

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!

I used this model (4410n) around 40 units and have the same problems. I already opened case but the advise is only upgrade firmware, restart, and factory reset but all problems still happen. Cisco's engineer (TAC) gave me some dialy reboot scripts only for workaround solution. It's Cisco Small business ...

Many Thank for the best support in the world of your human network !!!

One hundred sixty-eight posts over a period of years and still no solution.  Something is very wrong here.  Cisco, wake up or lose the small business market if you haven't already.  Posting what I've posted on other threads:

I'm having the same problem with a 4410N.  It works fine for a while, then it stops accepting wireless clients.  A soft reboot from the admin screen fixes it for another while.  Haven't determined yet how long it stays up between reboots -- it's somewhere between a few hours and a few days.  Here's the strange part.  We have two older 4410N's and they work fine.  It's only this new one that malfunctions.  I called Cisco support and have returned the unit twice.  The first time it was replaced with a used Linksys-branded unit.  The latest replacement was new, still in shrink wrap.  Both replacements had the same problem as the original unit.  I guess I've had enough replacement units.  Wonder if Cisco can fix the one I have now?

All three of our 4410N's are configured in access point mode with the same SSID.  All three are plugged into an ASA5505 that has a VLAN dedicated to the wireless network.  I use NetStumbler to view competing wireless networks, and there is nothing out there causing interference.  All APs are using different channels.

More info:

PID VID:  WAP4410N-A V02 (found under Status, Local Network)

Two older units that work:

Serial: SER145200Y3

Serial: SER145200X2

New unit that has the problem:

Serial: SER153600ZW

Seems this WAP has always had this problem, judging from the many threads here about it.  Looks to me like the firmware got fixed at some point and then some new internal component broke it again.  Someone really needs to fix this.

Edit:

I was going over this again, and realized that the two WAP's that are working have firmware version 2.0.3.3, while the one that's not working has firmware 2.0.4.2.  I'm going to downgrade the new one to 2.0.3.3 and see if that helps.

O.K., that seems to have fixed my bad WAP.  I installed firmware 2.0.3.3 and it has been running fine for two days.  When it had 2.0.4.2 firmware, it stopped accepting wireless clients within 30 minutes.  I recommend trying 2.0.3.3 if you are having this trouble, especially if your serial numbers fall between those above.  Download is available from Cisco.  Look for the download button on this page:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10052/index.html

I just received beta firmware 2.0.5.2 which has corrected my issue. I have about 15 of these units some of them almost daily will drop all wireless clients until it is rebooted. This Beta seems to have fixed my issue. If anyone would like to contact me you can send and email to mikesitservices@atlanticbb.net to discuss.

I was able to achieve 150 mbps. Is there a special setup you need to do to achieve channel bonding with the AP or does it just do it automatically when you select 40mhz band

I don’t believe any of the adapters that we have in any laptop has channel bonding capability.

Scratch that I am now getting 300 Mbps on one of my laptops whoooo hoooooo

I'm not able to achieve the 300Mbps speed with the new firmware. I have tried using both the automatic and 40MHz channel bandwidth setting.

What hardware version is your AP (Status-->Local Network-->Information-->PID VID)? Mine is WAP4410N-A V02.

As far as I can tell, I am only able to achieve 300Mbps speed with firmware 2.0.3.3.

Edited to add: I checked with Metageek's InSSIDer utility (latest version, 2.1.1.3), and it says the max rate for my connection is 300Mbps, although I am only able to get 130Mbps standing right next to the AP.

This is while Windows 7 64-bit is reporting that I am getting five out of five bars.

I don't know if the max rate of 300Mbps reported by InSSIDer means that I am using 40MHz and channel bonding successfully, but that's what it is reporting.

Also, these are my results with hardware/configuration known to be working at 300Mbps, including Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6320 and Linksys AE2500.

Mine is a little flakey I think. I can only achieve 300 Mbps with the channel on auto or channel 1 only. My hardware is version V02 but I also tried a version 1 I have and I get the same result. I also had to reboot the PC in order for the new speed to take effect for some reason.

Okay, thanks.

I am only able to get 130Mbps with the new firmware, which is an indication that channel bonding is not in effect.

I'll keep experimenting.

I tried another non-WAP4410N AP, and compared results with the WAP4410N.

On the non-WAP4410N AP, InSSIDer reports that channel bonding is in effect, e.g. channels 1+5, while also reporting a 300Mbps data rate. Windows 7 reports connecting at 300Mbps.

On the WAP4410N AP, InSSIDer reports that channel bonding is not in effect, e.g. channel 1 only, while also reporting a 300Mbps data rate. Windows 7 reports connecting at 130Mbps.

I am not sure what the 300Mbps rate in InSSIDer signifies, though, since something is obviously preventing me from connecting to the WAP4410N at anything higher than 130Mbps.

Well it has been 48 Hours since my beta firmware 2.0.5.2 install on all of my AP's. I am pleased to report that none of them have dropped any clients since. I am keeping my fingers crossed and praying to the wireless gods. again if anyone would like to discuss this please email me at mikesitservices@atlanticbb.net.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: