cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N stops responding very often

xvillafuerte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we have 9 WAP4410N with PoE in our network. They were purchased on August. We found that very often in a week, they stop responding to any clients so they cannot get IP addresses, but we can ping the devices and enter the administration page. The only solution is to reboot the AP. I found some references to the same problem in the Cisco Forums and even some bad recommendations in Amazon.com about these APs, but now is too late and we need to found a solution.

We upgraded to firmware 2.0.3.3 but problem remains. We are completly sure that IP and DNS configurations are fine and that our switches and DHCP servers work fine, too. We have in the same LAN, APs 3COm from the 9150 series with no problems. These 3Com APs use the same network services that the 4410.

Currently we are testing the Force LAN to 100 Mbps option and using mixed encryption algorithms (AES and TKIP) because at the begining, we were only using AES. But, I feel that it is not a smart procedure because it is not based on any real fact; it is, may be a desperate choice.

In order to administer those APs, we normally connect at the night so we don´t affect anyone on the network. However, when I check the administration page, I can see that the utilization rate in all the APs is always more that 40%, and I am sure, nobody is using the AP at the night. Wierd. In a normal day, no more than 20 clients are connected to each AP.

Logs have no valuable information to use in order to find a solution.

So, any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Xavier Villafuerte

246 Replies 246

geovany2222
Level 1
Level 1

I have this WAP4410N, I updated the firmware to version 2.0.5.3, but the performance is the same, the AP disconnects all clients after 5 hours, sometimes more, sometimes less. the only change I made to the factory setings was put safety "WAP personnel" to default SSID.

there is no solution yet for this topic?

Yeah get rid of it. They are Junk!

Ever since the software upgrade 2.0.5.3 mine's been running smooth for two months... Now I finally got my money's worth.

After my upgrade just to be safe I reconfigured it mine from scratch (didn't copy a config file to restore the previous settings)

************** Tristan Manduley Cisco TAC

After upgrading to firmware 2.0.5.3, I am experiencing much longer uptimes on the order of a few weeks, but some of my WAP4410N units still do eventually stop responding.

I am also still not able to achieve 300Mbps data rates, as detailed in this existing unresolved bug.

@tmandule: Were you able to achieve 300Mbps?

Has anybody been able to achieve 300Mbps?

Can people who have upgraded to firmware 2.0.5.3 please report their results?

Thanks

I finally gave up. I had 4 of these. I decided to replace the main one with Ubiguiti. This proved succesfull. No longer need to reboot. But the other WAP's did seem to work. I might have had a bad Cisco AP. I still decided to replace the cisco AP's with Ubiguiti because I was now getting signal in areas the cisco did not reach. I still have clients thats have problems but it might be compatibility issues as well. Wireless is such a pain. I took the main AP home and tried it for a week. Never had a problem at home. So its really hard to tell. Maybe these units have issues with interference of other AP's. I just got tired and decided to try and different brand. And for $80 per Ubiquity AP, it was a risk worth taking. I will continue to monitor the Cisco AP's, 2 are still installed on the lower floor and have not rebooted. I should know more next week.

The one 4410N that I upgraded to firmware 2.0.5.3 is working better than before, but still stops responding after about a month.  I have two other 4410Ns that have 2.0.3.3, and they also stop responding after about a month.  Rebooting cures them for another while.  Regarding connection speed, I haven't kept any figures -- too busy just trying to keep the devices working.

At a previous job, we used Cisco 1200-series and Orinoco wireless access points and we very rarely had to reboot them.  Some of them ran for years without problems.  So, Cisco, if you're reading, it still ain't fixed.

Well.. I've reached my wits-end on these things.  Firmware upgrade still hasn't fixed the problem, and people are starting to complain bitterly, so scrapping these pieces of cr** formerly-known-as-Linksys-which-Cisco-evidently-has-no-intention-of-fixing and investing in an Aironet controller and A/P bundle solution that I know from past experience works perfectly... despite the vast difference in price-tag, I've wasted about as much already in time and resources keeping these WAP4410N working for more than 30 minutes at a time.

Leland,

See my post titled "Feedback for forum: WAP4410N lock ups - how we fixed!", posted 5 days ago.

You do not need to invest in Aironet controller and A/P budle solution, just the new simple WAP321s after getting a refund on your WAP4410s - we did this and for just a few dollars extra fixed our environment easily,

Kindest regards,

Dale Bentley

Hi Dave,

I saw the post, but we will shortly have more expanded wireless requirements for our HQ which go far beyond the capabilities of SME sized units.... more than 4 WLAN/VLANs, mobility roaming and mesh arrangements... so the investment in the Aironet solution is pretty much worthwhile in this case.

Thanks though

Leland

Leland,

Fair enough, but I would still suggest chasing a refund as it will help with your budget to roll out the SME solution you are looking at. If you WAP4410Ns are found to be faulty then this is what Cisco offer.

Just so you know we ahve 3 floors, 50 staff, 6 x WAPs and despite no raoming on teh WAP321s we have no issues with staff movement - seems to cope well picking up on change of APs as they move around. Very impressed.

Cheers,

Dale (not Dave)

Dale, (sorry... been up most of the night diagnosing an issue with a Nexus 7009)..

As for the refund, our three WAP4410Ns were purchased at a high-street retailer, and for about 80 euros a piece six months ago, so can probably take the financial hit on that.

Thanks for the insight for the WAP321s though.

Cheers,

Leland

The problem has not been fixed in a very long time now ..

Reboot is not an option for us .. specially when you have one of these access points sitting in the Director's cabin.

Cisco - pls do something on this one

Ravi

Ravi,

See my post 5 days ago in the forum how we resolved this issue for our small office that had 6 x WAP4410N with exactly the same issues you have been experiencing.

We struggled for 12 months to find a resolution and as you will read resolved this once and for all. Bottom line is you need to call Cisco and open a support case - you will find there is no other way to resolve.

Kindest regards,

Dale Bentley

I haven't tried to measure the data rate but it flies. On 802.11n hosts I can download from the web as fast as my connection can take.

************** Tristan Manduley Cisco TAC

If you are using Windows 7, you can get the speed for any connection by navigating to the following:

Start-->Control Panel-->Network and Internet-->Network and Sharing Center

From there, you should see a list of your network connections, and you can click on the appropriate one. "Speed" will be the parameter that you want.

So, I'm only able to get 130Mbps with firmware 2.0.5.3.

Thanks