cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N stops responding very often

xvillafuerte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we have 9 WAP4410N with PoE in our network. They were purchased on August. We found that very often in a week, they stop responding to any clients so they cannot get IP addresses, but we can ping the devices and enter the administration page. The only solution is to reboot the AP. I found some references to the same problem in the Cisco Forums and even some bad recommendations in Amazon.com about these APs, but now is too late and we need to found a solution.

We upgraded to firmware 2.0.3.3 but problem remains. We are completly sure that IP and DNS configurations are fine and that our switches and DHCP servers work fine, too. We have in the same LAN, APs 3COm from the 9150 series with no problems. These 3Com APs use the same network services that the 4410.

Currently we are testing the Force LAN to 100 Mbps option and using mixed encryption algorithms (AES and TKIP) because at the begining, we were only using AES. But, I feel that it is not a smart procedure because it is not based on any real fact; it is, may be a desperate choice.

In order to administer those APs, we normally connect at the night so we don´t affect anyone on the network. However, when I check the administration page, I can see that the utilization rate in all the APs is always more that 40%, and I am sure, nobody is using the AP at the night. Wierd. In a normal day, no more than 20 clients are connected to each AP.

Logs have no valuable information to use in order to find a solution.

So, any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Xavier Villafuerte

246 Replies 246

Cal,

My name is Borislav and I am part of the Small Business support team. Please send your phone number to my email address (boatanas@cisco.com) and I will contact you!

Regards

Borislav Atanassov
Cisco Small Business TAC

Cal,

Please after the help of Mr Borislav tell us if you had your problem fixed.

Don't forget to share the solution

Cohesive111
Level 1
Level 1

I've moved on from these defunct pieces of hardware. A serious joke.

I ordered APs from a different provider, they arrived the next day, I plugged them in, configured them, and we haven't had a problem in 4 days. I couldn't get a single day of stability and balancing from ONE of the WAP4410N APs we were trying to use.

I've spent months on those damn Cisco APs and not once did they work like they were supposed to. It's going to be a cold day in hell before I buy another product from Cisco that is directly related to the AP or WiFi category. Now I have stable wifi that stays up no matter how many people I have using it, they move from floor to floor in our building seamlessly without losing a connection, and it WORKS.

I don't go to the hardware store and have to assemble the power drill I buy, I don't go to the car dealership and get told I have to fix the BRAND NEW car I am about to buy, so why do I have to deal with an access point (or multiple APs in my case) that are sold new but require massive amounts of upkeep and MAINTENANCE from day one. Something is fundamentally wrong with this product, and the number of people who have posted about this problem is proof. Cisco should pull them from the shelves until they can produce a working product.

This experience left me with a real bad taste for Cisco. Not impressed. Good luck to the rest of you.

We're using the UniFi AP system from Ubiquiti now for those who read this far down in my rant. It includes a software controller that has lots of features FOR FREE that I would have to spend a lot of money on to get with Cisco gear. Just FYI for anyone that is interested.

I use Unify APs too for more than a year now &; the software router is great &; very easy to maintain, but you won't get wireless voip or smth with it &; Cisco with hardware router does it good. It costs much more than 4410N for ~ 200$ or Unify for ~100$(!).

Also the problem is that the WAP4410N is a pile of rebadged Linksys junk that Cisco inherited when they purchased Linksys. Don't know how it passed their testing phase though :/

Anyway all of these APs should be returned to manufacturer. I successfully did that myself: sent my local dealer several links about this AP &; returned them

Good luck for those who got stuck on these 4410Ns!

gnireenigne
Level 1
Level 1

The solution here is simple...

Cisco needs to stop using Customer's networks for testing, troubleshooting and debugging, and replace them with WAP121's at their expense.

Problem solved.

Happy customers, and Cisco can stop trying to fix a defective product with software.

turbo_engine26
Level 4
Level 4

Although this thread is a big old, i would like to share my workaround.

I upgraded to 2.0.7.4 FW and changed the below settings:

1) Network Mode: G-Only

2) Channel: Auto

3) Key Renewal: 36000 (as suggested earlier)

Before these settings, ping gave me up to 3000ms. After these settings, ping is 1 to 2 ms. Sometimes it reaches 100 or 200 ms but will drop immediately to 1 or 2 ms.

Hope this helps.

derivo001
Level 1
Level 1

Nothing works

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: