Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP551 as Range Extender

captike
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco world,

I have a question regarding a setup I'm trying to build.  I have a Linksys Router (WRT1900AC) and a Cisco WAP551.  I have a weak WIFI spot near the far end of my house that I'd like to use the WAP as a range extender for.  I'd like to have it where wireless devices seamlessly transition from the router to the WAP when they get closer.  I've tried several different setups with the access point as a test, but can't get it to do what I want it to.  I've done this same thing before at another location using an old router and simply turned off DHCP and made the WIFI credentials the same as the router (the main one) and it worked just like I imagine this should.  As you got closer to the router (acting as a range extender) it would immediately show a change in signal strength.  I've tried doing the same with this current setup and I can see the new SSID that I made, but devices don't ever switch over to the new one.  I also tried using Workgroup Bridge mode, however in that configuration, you can't make the SSID's the same.  Can someone point me in the right direction on how I need to configure the access point to do what I'm after?  Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!! Cheers!  

4 Replies 4

agekov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello @captike

Hope you are doing well!

My name is Anton and I am part of Cisco SBS Support Team.

I am writing in response to your query here to advise you to use the WDS option of the WAP551 device and extend the coverage of your wireless router. 

Of course you need to verify that the wireless router supports WDS. 

You can see how to configure WDS on the WAP551 at the link below:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/wireless/cisco-small-business-500-series-wireless-access-points/smb4371-wireless-distribution-system-wds-bridge-configuration-on-wap.html

Kind Regards!

Anton Gekov
Technical Consulting Engineer – Level 1
Global CX Centers – Small Business Support

Ok, great, thank you.  I'm looking to see now if my router supports WDS.  Is there an easy way to tell if it does?  Does it change anything if I have a wired connection to the access point? I'm always a fan of having a wired connection over a wireless one.  Plus, this access point is only powered via POE, so I had to run a cable anyhow.  Thanks again!

I had a quick look and I believe WAP551 is single radio (only 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz not dual band) so that could also be a factor affecting whether your clients roam between the 2 APs (that's a combination of client settings/behaviour and coverage/signal strength). You need to check which band you're using and whether it would be preferable to use the other to achieve the right coverage and signal strength for what you're trying to do.

You are correct, it is a single band access point.  That's why I was hoping having it connected via an ethernet cable would be of some benefit.