cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP551 Guest Wifi problem

jon meacham
Level 1
Level 1

I have just purchased this unit and am struggling with the guest vlan. I have configured the unit with the wizard, set up guest vlan (30) , connected that to a vlan aware switch (GS110TPv2), plugged the AP into a port that tags Vlan 30. The router connects to the switch in this vlan, and hands out an IP address to the client in the expected range for the guest network, but I cant get any internet, or even ping the router when on the guest ssid.

If connected to the office vlan 1, all works fine.

I have contacted netgear support and they have said the switch config is ok for what I am trying to achieve, so am now stuck.

6 Replies 6

ggrim
Level 1
Level 1

Hello jonmeacham1,

Thanks for using the Cisco Small Business Support Community. I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble configuring your Guest Wireless, and I hope that we can help you find a solution.

I am not familiar with the GS100TPv2-- are you able to configure Layer 3 interfaces on it for each VLAN in order to handle routing, or do you have the switch plugged in to a router that can handle the VLANs?

I have also looked through our Knowledge Base to find information that might help out with configuring the captive portal itself, and I found the following article that might provide some additional information on setting up Guest Wireless. While not specifically being for your devices, I hope that this will provide some insight into how to handle the routing of VLANs to provide multiple SSIDs access to your internet connection:

Enabling Multiple Wireless Networks on RV320 VPN Router, WAP321 Wireless-N Access Point, and Sx300 Series Switches

Please reply back with any additional information and we will do our best to help resolve your problem!

If this post solves your issue, please remember to mark your question and resolved and rate any helpful posts to help other members in the community! Thanks!

Best,

Gunner

Hi,

Ok having no success with that, i have bought a RV320 thinking that sticking to kit in the guide would help. 

I still cannot get this to work.Ignoring the previous setup and config I posted,  I'm trying to simplify as much as possible by having the RV320 connected to the internet. I then create vlan on RV320 for guest wifi (vlan 50). Setup DHCP on vlan 50. assign port 4 as tagged vlan 50.

Connect access point to port 4 of the RV320, guest wifi on the access point has vlan of 50.

The connected pc will connect to the guest wifi, receive an ip address in the correct range, but still no Internet. ive checked all settings that i can think of like dns but for the life of me I cant work this out. Windows connection says there is an internet connection, but cant access any web pages.

If i connect to the non guest wifi which is (vlan1) the internet works, which is exactly the same issue i had with the original post. This isnt a captive portal issue is it?

Ok , solved it, it is the captive portal. I enabled it on first setup without knowing about the issue with it needing access to the management vlan.

Jon,

Thanks for the update and for replying back with your solution! I'm glad to hear that you got it working.

In regards to setting up Captive Portal on your device, we also have an article that might be useful:

Create Captive Portal on WAP561 and WAP551

Best,

Gunner

Jon I am having the exact same issue.  What did you actually do to resolve it?

Hi, I disabled the captive portal entirely, as it does not work unless on the management vlan which defeats the whole point of having it IMO.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: