cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP571 and WAP571E not joining a cluster

henry-d
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I have just purchased a WAP571 and a WAP571E.  I run through the setup of the 571 and create the cluster and the wireless network ect.  Then I run the setup wizard on the 571E and have it join the cluster.  It appears that it has but neither AP shows the other in the Single Point Setup.  I have loaded the latest firmware 1.0.0.16 on both but no luck.

Can someone help?

Thanks

Daron

7 Replies 7

Paul Yanzick
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Henry-d,

In order to establish a cluster with the WAP571/E, they have to be the same model.  Unfortunately you can't mix the WAP571 and WAP571E in the same cluster. The admin guide is a little bit misleading in that regard and will be fixed.

Thanks
Paul

It is seriously strange that it is not possible to mix WAP models within a cluster.
Other brands seem to be able to do this without problems, why can't cisco? :)

Especially WAP 37x/57x should be made possible to simply join the same cluster.

jonrodr2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Cisco, i hope you are doing well, my name is Jonathan and i am one of the Engineers at Cisco SBSC team, i do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you, but unfortunately in order to create a cluster the WAP models have to be the same so in other words the wap571 can  only associate with other wap571, you can find this information in the administration guide on page 170, here you have the link and in case you need further assistance or have any questions, you can give us a call at 1-866-606-1866. thanks 

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/wap571_571E/Administration/Guide/Cisco_WAP571_571E_Administration_Guide.pdf 

This is a real problem.
Before I bought the equipment I tried to contact support and the only person that would give me some advice was the Cisco product manager for an equipment distributor. When I told him I wanted to make a cluster with three indoor APs and one outdoor AP he recommended me to use the WAP571 and WAP571/E as they would be able to be a part of the same cluster.
I convinced my client, bought the equipment and now that I'm configuring I bump into these MAJOR issue.

I just ran into this issue as well, and I am EXTREMELY irritated. Now I have all my indoor access points on a cluster, yet I will have to log in separately to mirror configuration changes on the outdoor WAP(s). I don't buy the engineers explanation either. They use the EXACT SAME FIRMWARE image. There are already settings that are not propagated between WAPS such as IP, VLAN settings, ETC. It would be trivial for them to modify their code to allow the 571e to coexist with the 571. This limitation is more likely some kind of thick-headed corporate policy. Not wanting the less expensive product line to have levels of flexibility that you would get in their more expensive controller-driven or cloud managed access points. Very frustrating. 

I think you are wrong about VLANs and such not propagating.  I have a cluster with 3 WAP371 wireless APs.  I have multiple VLANs and SSIDs defined.  When I join the cluster with a fresh WAP371 AP it picks up all the info from the cluster.  All I do is plug in the AP with a wire to the switch, logon and join the cluster.  The clustering does all the rest. 

Why don't you fix this issue Cisco, very annoying shame on you
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: