cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP571 PoE+ 802.3at Issue

joneill70
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a new WAP571-A-K9 V01 which is having issues with PoE+.  When I connect the WAP to our new Aruba 2920-48G-PoE+ switch on port 3/17, I receive the following error when logging into the web console for the WAP:

The power source of WAP device is using IEEE 802.3af PoE standard provides. The device will run in lower CPU frequency and turn off ETH1 Ethernet port, the wireless will also use 2 antennas to transmit & receive data. It is highly recommended using IEEE 802.3at Power Source Equipment (PSE) to get the best performance. If the required power by the WAP device exceeds the maximum power delivered by the PSE, then the WAP device may reboot.

Under the System Summary for the device, it states that the Power Source is 802.3af PoE.

When I run the command "show power-over-Ethernet 3/17" on the switch, I receive this output:

Status and Counters - Port Power Status for port 3/17

Power Enable      : Yes

LLDP Detect       : enabled

Priority          : low               Configured Type   :

AllocateBy        : usage             Value             : 17 W

Power Class       : 4                 Detection  Status : Delivering

Over Current Cnt  : 0                 MPS Absent Cnt    : 4

Power Denied Cnt  : 0                 Short Cnt         : 0

Voltage           : 56.6 V            Current           : 144 mA

Power             : 8.1 W             Pre-std Detect    : off

The device shipped with the 1.0.0.14 firmware which was experiencing the above issue.  Even after upgrading to 1.0.0.17, the problem still persists.

Its worth noting that I have some PoE 802.3af phones connected to the switch as well.  Running the command "show power-over-Ethernet 1/3" on one of the switch ports where I've connected a phone yields these results:

Status and Counters - Port Power Status for port 1/3

AllocateBy        : usage             Value             : 17 W

Power Class       : 2                 Detection  Status : Delivering

Over Current Cnt  : 0                 MPS Absent Cnt    : 0

Power Denied Cnt  : 0                 Short Cnt         : 0

Voltage           : 56.3 V            Current           : 56 mA

Power             : 3.1 W             Pre-std Detect    : off

I want to make sure that the device is running at full power but I have a hunch that the WAP571 is incorrectly detecting PoE+ on my Aruba switch.  Can anybody shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Edit: Typos
13 Replies 13

Pierluigi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I have a similar issue

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13090116/wap571-poe-issue

I noticed you haven't received an answer on the forums yet.  Any update?

Milan Milanov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am really sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing.

It seems that indeed there is a PoE misnegotiation between the WAP and the Aruba switch.

Is there any possibility that you can force the 3/17 port to provide full 802.3at PoE?

Kind regards,

Milan Milanov

I forced it to deliver 25W to the WAP.  The same issue remains.  Here are the port settings after forcing it to 25W:

"show power-over-ethernet 3/17"
 Status and Counters - Port Power Status for port 3/17
  AllocateBy        : value             Value             : 25 W
  Power Class       : 4                 Detection  Status : Delivering
  Over Current Cnt  : 0                 MPS Absent Cnt    : 18
  Power Denied Cnt  : 0                 Short Cnt         : 0
  Voltage           : 56.6 V            Current           : 140 mA
  Power             : 25.0 W            Pre-std Detect    : off
Please let me know if there is anything else I can try.
Thanks!

Hello, my name is Jonathan and i am one of the Engineers here at Cisco Small Business, i would like to check some details.

can you let me know if you are using the 5ghz band? and if so please let me know the current configuration.

do you have any other devices plugged into the switch with 802.3at?

have you done a factory reset on the unit already?

can you do a packet capture showing the PoE negotiation

Please test by disabling discovery-bonjour and as well check the lldp and try with PoE priority in Critical.

i was checking and according to the datasheet of the wap571 the unit has 2 thernet ports but just 1 of the ports supports 802.3at, so based on this have you tested with both ports?

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for your response.  Below are the answers to your questions:

• I am using the 5GHz band.  It is configured as follows:

Mode: 802.11a/n/ac

Channel Bandwidth: 80MHz

Channel: Auto

Spectrum Analysis: Disabled

• I do not have any other devices that are 802.3at
  • I have not only done a factory reset, but also bought another identical unit which has the exact same issue.
  • I have the packet captures you requested.  How can I get them to you?
  • Disabled Bonjour and set the PoE priority to Critical on the switch.  Same issue.
  • I have tested both Ethernet ports.  Only Ethernet 0 will power the device.  Ethernet 1 does not accept PoE.

Thank you again for your help.

I found the answer:  The trick is to disable Dot3 LLDP TLV on the port on the switch.  Once I did that, it negotiated the proper POE power.

On another note, I purchased a second WAP571-A-K9 just to verify that the WAP itself wasn't bad.  I'm having the exact same issue with the second WAP.

Mark Wells
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue with the same message

I have 3 new WAP571-A-K9 V01 and a new Cisco SG250-26HP 26 port Gigabit PoE Smart Switch. The switch supports 802.3at PoE+, 802.3af, however I have never managed to get it to connect at anything other than 802.3af. I have loaded the latest firmware on both with no difference. I have also tried playing with LLDP & CDP but again with no effect.

I was trying to work out if it was the switch not delivering the power, or if it’s the access point not negotiating what it needs, i.e the Access point will run on 802.3af all but with limitations, so fails to get what it actually wants.

Anyone made any inroads into this issue?

I am having the same issue I have about 10 of these switches and over 40 Access Points deployed now and they are all getting the same message.  I have updated latest firmware tired with only 2.4 LLDP CDP changes to no avail.  The switch is supposed to support at but I can't get it working.  I know the HP is only max 100 watts but I get the message even with 1 AP.  Pretty Frustrated and no answers

I never managed to get the SG250-26HP switch to work with the WAP571, and the only reprocess I got back from Cisco support seemed to indicated that there was an issue with that model of switch, and 802.3at PoE+ had been disabled in firmware.

I sent the switch back under the grounds that I didn’t perform as per specification.

There is the SG250-26P which has a higher PoE power rating, however I could not get a definitive answer if it would work, so I went for the SG350-28P, which worked straight out of the box.

Thanks so much for the reply.   I'll have to look at that router too and see what we can do.  I'm going to need clear cut answer from Cisco as proof so I can get the vendor to return them.  They will accept the return as credit towards the other switch if I have proof from Cisco which should be fun.  Thanks for the info Mark and Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Honver Lam
Level 1
Level 1

I am happy to report that the power feature called "2-event classification" has finally resolved this issue on my 3850s. I had to upgrade the 3850s to the 16.3.6 train to get this feature to show up because it was not there in 3.6. I believe other switches such as the 2960x have this feature too.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-2_4_e/configurationguide/b_1524e_consolidated_2960x_cg/b_1524e_consolidated_2960x_cg_chapter_0111111.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: