cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless mode to maximize network speed

andyhoien
Level 1
Level 1

Our wireless environment consitst of 5 AP541N's configured with 2 VAP's.  1 VAP is for our private network and the second for unsecured guest access.  I am wondering what the preferred wireless mode is to maximize network speed?  We only have N devices on our network and our mode is currently set to 802.11 b/g/n.  Would 2.4GHz 802.11n be faster? 

Does the Transmit Power setting have any effect on speed?  Or just range?  Any other settings on the Advanced Settings page effect network speed.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Frank Peter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got the same question for the wap321 devices. What are the best radio settings to get the maximum speed?

Thanks.

Clayton Sill
Level 1
Level 1

The best set up would be to put it on 5.0ghz on a 40 mhz band. If your devices do not support 5ghz you can try 2.4ghz but you have to have it on 40 mhz to be able to get faster speeds.. The only issue you could run into using 40mhz on 2.4ghz is that there may not be enough room and could case a lot of wireless interference.. so you could cause more harm than good. If there is hardly no other wireless networks showing up then I would try 40mhz on 2.4ghz. You could download a tool called inssider from metageeks. Can help you troubleshoot the wireless in your area and determine the best wireless channel to use for less wireless interference and how many other wireless devices are around you.

Pretty much the max you can probably reach on 20mhz is between 72mbps-144mbps.. counts on your wireless card and on 40mhz you should get between 150mbps-300mbps.

Hope that helps..

Thanks,

Clayton Sill