cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N - eth0: received packet with own address as source address

leifwright
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a WRVS4400N as my primary router for a small office.  I get the following message repeated over and over in my logs.  This seems to happen for 2 or 3 days and then it will go away for about a week and then come back.  Does anyone know what is causing this?  The best I can tell I don't have any IP conflicts on the network and most of the time the network has very little traffic other than 2 or 3 computers surfing the web.

Jan  3 16:48:09  - eth0: received packet with  own address as source address

Jan  3 16:48:09  - eth0: received packet with  own address as source address

Jan  3 16:48:15  - eth0: received packet with  own address as source address

Jan  3 16:48:27  - eth0: received packet with  own address as source address

Jan  3 16:48:51  - eth0: received packet with  own address as source address

19 Replies 19

leifwright
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone seen this before?

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

Couple of questions about your issue. WHat is your Network Topology like Modem - Router - any switches - any Bridges, etc.

Also Have you always gotten this error, or did it start just recently, if recently were there any changes made to the network?

Thanks

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
1-866-606-1866

This issue has occurred off and one from the time I put the router in place about a year and a half ago.  It is a V2 unit and I have updated the firmware and IPS file each time a new version has been released. 

This router connects directly to the phone company’s hardware coming into the building on the WAN port.  We have a T1 connection.  On the back side of the router I have 3 switches that service 2 servers, a hand full of offices, and connect to 4 copper to fiber converters branching out to remote buildings that only have activity 2 weeks out of the year. 

This network has very little traffic most of the year.  We have 2 weeks each year that have very heavy traffic with about 75 devices on the network.  The amount to traffic and devices does not seem to have any effect on the issue.

Thanks,

Leif

Any updates on this?  This problem still exits.  Are there any firmware updates in the pipeline?

Hi Leif -- Thanks for participating in the Community. What firmware version are you running?

Firmware version 2.0.1.3 is now available here. Please keep us informed.

Thanks,

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business Technology Group

We are currently running firmware version 2.0.0.8.  I will download and install 2.0.1.3 and see if it helps.  Are there any fixes for this issue in there?  I was not able to find any release notes on 2.0.1.3.

Release Notes are available here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9923/prod_release_notes_list.html

Thanks,

Stephanie Reaves

Leif -- Any update to share?

Thanks,

Stephanie Reaves

I applied the updated firmware last week and it did not resolve the issue.  I got several of these messages in my logs over the weekend.

Thanks, Leif. Going to go ahead and recommend you open a case with the Small Business Support Center. See www.cisco.com/go/sbsc. Please

keep us informed.

Stephanie Reaves

any news on this issue?

I am getting more and more messages (20+/day) - hundreds this month.

Now Coming every 10 minutes - HELP

eth0: received packet with own address as source address

Done everything, now waiting for input from Cisco.

Please, anyone as Cisco got any answers?

1:38 AM COachman@bc-data.com WRVS4400N Security Log [6B:C6:FD]
12:36 AM COachman@bc-data.com WRVS4400N Security Log [6B:C6:FD]
2:38 AM COachman@bc-data.com WRVS4400N Security Log [6B:C6:FD]
3:38 AM COachman@bc-data.com WRVS4400N Security Log [6B:C6:FD]
4:38 AM COachman@bc-data.com WRVS4400N Security Log [6B:C6:FD]
5:38 AM COachman@bc-data.com WRVS4400N Security Log [6B:C6:FD]
6:38 AM COachman@bc-data.com WRVS4400N Security Log [6B:C6:FD]
7:38 AM COachman@bc-data.com WRVS4400N Security Log [6B:C6:FD]
8:38 AM COachman@bc-data.com WRVS4400N Security Log [6B:C6:FD]

jprall
Level 1
Level 1

Happening to me, and as others have reported, it has happened for a long time through several firmware updates.  I'm on

V2.0.2.1 which is the latest that I can find at the moment.

Simple config for me - Comcast Cable Modem -> linksys wrvS4400N -> 48 port gbit switch.

Again, has happened for a really long time.  I was using another router because shutting down the WAN is not really acceptable.  I have decomission that though because it was kind a PITA to manage (Win2K8R2 RAS).

So now back  tto the  the 4400N and watching the wan shutdown when there is a flurry of these errors messages.

Hi,

is there any solution for this?

I am running firmware V2.0.2.1-ETSI

No other switches or hubs attached.

Only 2 wired clients:

1. notebook

2. PC as VMware ESXi host with 4 VMs.

(3. some clients on wireless LAN)

Message is jumping between eth0 and eth2.

If someone from Cisco support is reading this thread, I would be happy to provide more info if required.

Dieter

I disabled the IPv6 option and problem disappeared.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: