cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N - eth0: received packet with own address as source address

leifwright
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a WRVS4400N as my primary router for a small office.  I get the following message repeated over and over in my logs.  This seems to happen for 2 or 3 days and then it will go away for about a week and then come back.  Does anyone know what is causing this?  The best I can tell I don't have any IP conflicts on the network and most of the time the network has very little traffic other than 2 or 3 computers surfing the web.

Jan  3 16:48:09  - eth0: received packet with  own address as source address

Jan  3 16:48:09  - eth0: received packet with  own address as source address

Jan  3 16:48:15  - eth0: received packet with  own address as source address

Jan  3 16:48:27  - eth0: received packet with  own address as source address

Jan  3 16:48:51  - eth0: received packet with  own address as source address

19 Replies 19

Hi,

thanks for the info.

I did some more research on the web and found some hints that this is relates to RSTP (spanning tree protocol).

As I have installed VMware on my notebook and VMware ESXi on the PC attached to the Cisco, I am testing this at the moment.

Change was applied about an hour hago. Will post details when I can confirm the solution works.

Dieter

Hi,

You can change from RSTP to STP if Necessary - under L2-switch RSTP - Force version= (Compatible) with will allow the router to run STP instead of RSTP.

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan

Ok - cool.  An answer.  I have enabled compatible mode and I will update the forum.

Referring to IP4 or Dual Stack, I had already been running just the IP4 stack so that, for me anyway, was not a solution for the issue.

I hope this does help, and I'll let you know.  Thanks for a response!

jp

Hi,

so far I did not get any errors.

As I am now at work and have no access the config of my router, I can not post the changes right now.

I will update this thread with my current settings asap.

For those who can't wait:

I activated RSTP (as Jasbryan mentioned under L2-switch RSTP), activated it for all 4 ports and also adjusted some of the other settings. You'll have to check the manual anyway, because some of those settings depend on your installation.

Dieter

After 22 hours with no messages from the device, I would say my problem is solved.

Here my settings in the "L2 Switch" -> "RSTP" section:

System Priority: 8192 (check the documentation! this needs to adjeusted to your needs!)

Hello Time: 2 (default)

Max Age: 20 (default)

Forward Delay: 15 (default)

Force Version: Normal (default)

Port 1-4:

Protocol Enable: checked (this is what solves the problem)

Edge: checked (default)

Path Cost: auto (default)

Hope that helps

Dieter