Views
Helpful
Replies

Discovery doubt

Cisco SmartNet
Level 1
Level 1

I have a doubt about discovery.

Once a have a collector working correctly for a while, collecting all my devices and I need to collect devices from a new IP range, I need to insert the range in "Discovery -> insert the range -> choose the snmp version -> Finish".

After the devices from the new range are collected correctly, I need to do something with the collection profile in "collect button" or it is automatically update with the new IP range?

Best regards. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

adias
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Here is the process flow.

A discovery profile : In its essence will learn about the device and it will place those devices on the managed device list, it will collect a single snmp data point and place that information on that manage device list.  I also assume here you have schedulled your discovery profile to occur monthly

A collection profile : in essence will go to that list of devices and perform the collection on them , the collection is a set of datasets and much more comprehensive than discovery.

so if you have done both correctly there is not need to update anything on the collection profile. it automatically get whatever was the last data discovered on each device on the managed device list.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

adias
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Here is the process flow.

A discovery profile : In its essence will learn about the device and it will place those devices on the managed device list, it will collect a single snmp data point and place that information on that manage device list.  I also assume here you have schedulled your discovery profile to occur monthly

A collection profile : in essence will go to that list of devices and perform the collection on them , the collection is a set of datasets and much more comprehensive than discovery.

so if you have done both correctly there is not need to update anything on the collection profile. it automatically get whatever was the last data discovered on each device on the managed device list.

Thank you so much, it really helped me a lot.

Best regards

My pleasure.. this things initially can be very confusing

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: