cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Display and Report Device FQDN in CSPC

RonF
Level 1
Level 1

We have multiple data centers with similar core network architectures.  The device names in those locations are differentiated not by a short hostname but by their FQDN with a site sub-domain.  Thus, we have "router1.atlanta.ASnumber.company.com" and "router1.chicago.ASnumber.company.com".  Those are set as the hostnames on each device.  When the collected data are uploaded to the Smart Net portal and I run reports there I see the FQDN.  However, when I run a report such as "Managed Devices" or export it to a file on my CSPC collector (I'm running 2.9) I only see the short name - "Router1".  This is a problem when I try to determine what devices I have set up for management and which ones I still need to get discovered and set up.  What can I do to get CSPC to use the FQDNs in reports?

8 Replies 8

dbourai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Ron,

Good day to you!

I have acknowledged this post.

We will get back to you with an update regarding this.

Thanks & regards,
Devashish Bourai.

dbourai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Ron,

Good day to you!

The CSPC collector is designed in such a way, with respect to the Managed Devices tab, it displays the correct information of the devices, whether it is related to Hostnames, IP's or Serial numbers.

Currently there is no extra option in the CSPC GUI to display the fully qualified domain name.

Capability of CSPC to provide the FQDN (Sysname) as part of device list XML API.

Thanks & best regards,
Devashish Bourai.

What I have since found is that under "Administration" there is a selection "Configure Default Device Display Property" wherein you can select the defaulot display property for all the managed devices.  One of the selections is "SNMP Sys Name".  Given that the hostname on the routers and switches is set to the FQDN of each device, that should result in the FQDN to be shown for each device.

However, that in practice does not appear to be the case.  If you look in the attached files you will see that even though the hostname for the device is set to the FQDN, the name displayed for it is not.

In fact, in this case part of the domain name was appended onto the actual SNMP SysName.

I have done some further investigation.
We have devices that have in their configuration

hostname <FQDN>

ip domain-name <domain_name>

In such cases (and given that I have the Default Device Display Name set to "SNMP SysName"), the hostname of the device is "<FQDN>" and the Display Name is "<FQDN>.<domain_name>", so I end up with Display Names such as dcac40.clt01.n.zz.as19229.net.as19229.net.  I'm sure you can see that as undesirable.  One would think that I could simply set the Default Device Display Name to Hostname.

However, those are devices such as 2960s that are running IOS.  I also have NX-OS devices (such as a Nexus 5648Q running NX-02 7.3(0)N1(1)).  In looking at their entries in the "View Managed Devices" report the Host Name is the short name with no domain portions shown.  The Display name is the FQDN.  However, in the two boxes I have looked at the configuration has "hostname <FQDN>", but one has "ip domain-name <domain_name>" with no subdomains and the other has no "ip domain-name" command at all.  So they look like this:
Host Name (CSPC)  Display Name (CSPC)                 hostname (config)                     ip domain-name (config)
dcas34                    dcas34.clt01.n.zz.as19229.net   dcas34.clt01.n.zz.as19229.net  <no such command>

dcas42                    dcas42.clt01.n.zz.as19229.net    dcas42.clt01.n.zz.as19229.net  ip domain-name AS19229.NET

Can you explain this?
I did some polling using snmpwalk.  SysName is SNMP OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0.  When you poll that on the IOS-based devices you get <hostname>.<ip_domain-name>.  When you poll that on the NX-OS devices you get <hostname> only.  On the other hand, hostName is SNMP OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.3.0 and domainName is .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.4.0.  When you poll the IOS devices for those you get <hostname> and <ip_domain-name> as separate values.  When you poll the NX-OS devices nothing is returned - those OIDs are not available on them.

Can you explain why CSPC displays the simple name as "Host Name" for an NX-OS device when the hostname configured on the device is the FQDN?  Can you explain any of the above?  Thanks!

dbourai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Ron,

Thanks for sharing an update on these details, We will look into it and update accordingly.

Best regards,
Devashish Bourai.

I will be out of the office until Tuesday, Oct. 4th.

dbourai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello ,

Could you please share with me the exported file of the managed devices list?

Thanks & regards,
Devashish Bourai.