Helpful
Replies

Unable to delete/hide decommissioned devices

BrianV
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

SNTC using a CSPC ver 2.8.2 collector.

When I run reports it still shows decommissioned devices.

What I've tried:

Un-manage devices in CSPC

Delete unreachable devices CSPC

Waited 24hrs after latest upload

Other things I have read is that I need to choose "latest view" within the Application Settings in the SNTC portal. Issue with this is I don't seem to have that as an option in Applications settings. Yes, I am the portal admin.

Any other suggestions except deleting the inventory with I'd really prefer not to do as we would like to keep historical info.

Screenshot of "Application Settings" attached.

Thanks!

-Brian

6 Replies 6

BrianV
Level 1
Level 1

jumin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey BrianV,

I believe they recently got rid of the latest view so that shouldn't be an issue.  Can you confirm collection jobs are running before an upload is pushed?  Can you provide me the Inventory Jobs reports?  This can be accessed on the CSPC GUI via 'Reports' -> 'Inventory Jobs' -< And open up the last few.  Feel free to private message me this via hovering over my username and selecting send message option.

Thanks,
Justin

Interesting... Are you saying that inventory jobs should be scheduled on a regular basis? I was under the impression that the CSPC automatically did that. Based on Reports>>Inventory Jobs none have run since January.

Thanks for your help.

-Brian

jumin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Brian,

Yes that is correct.  All three jobs must be scheduled to be ran on a consistent basis and will not run otherwise unless manually pushed.  The collection job is what pulls the inventory data from each device whereas the upload just pushes the data to SNTC.  So each upload job was pushing the stale collected data from that last inventory job.  I would recommend going into the CSPC -> 'Settings' -> 'Manage Data Collection Profiles' -> And setting the schedule for the default profile.  This will automatically export the collected data to the portal when the collection portion finishes.  If you go this route, cancel the upload schedule to prevent two uploads coming in at once.

Thanks,
Justin

Thank you! It was not collecting the data prior to upload. Issue appears to be fixed now. Can you please confirm my assumptions are correct and in the right order.

1. Discover Devices should be a regularly scheduled item, weekly perhaps?

2. Collect Application Data should be a regularly scheduled item, occurring after Discover Devices?

3, Upload Data should be a regularly scheduled item, occurring after Collect App Data?

I'm thinking about:

Friday Discover Devices

Saturday Collect App Data

Sunday: Upload Data

Advice?

Thank you!

-Brian

jumin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Brian,

1. Discovery job schedules depend on how frequent devices are added onto the network.  Keep in mind, once a device is already discovered, you do not have to keep rediscovering them as they will remain in LiveNodes as long as they are reachable from the CSPC.  Typically, I recommend scheduling the discovery jobs about once a month or so depending on the frequency of adding devices.

2.  Correct, I would say this should be scheduled regularly, we typically recommend no more than once a week.  You will want this job to run after discovering any newly added devices so that inventory data is picked up from these new nodes.

3.  You can schedule the upload profile to run after the collection job.  However, the default collection profile has the setting automatically enabled that will push an upload after the collection portion is completed.  Thus, you do not have to worry about scheduling the upload if you are utilizing the default collection profile.

As mentioned I would use the default collection profile, which should be fine to process on Saturday.  Scheduling the discovery for Fridays may be fine depending on what method of discovery you are using (i.e: IP address list, IP ranges, protocols, etc).

Thanks,
Justin