Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accounts Locked on Collector

I upgraded my virtual appliance today from 2.6.1 to 2.6.3.  When I try to login as admin or root, I get an error - "The server has disconnected with an error.  Server message reads:  A protocol error occurred. Too many authentication failures for admin".  I can still login as collectorlogin.  So I logged in as collectorlogin, switched to root (su -), it accepted my password, then I issued the sudo passwd admin command and reset the password.  I still can't log in.  How do I unlock the admin account?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your question.  The cool down period for all accounts is currently 30 minutes.  Can you please try again after the cool down and see your root access is working?

Thank you,

Jarrett

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

I was able to login this morning as admin and collectorlogin, still unable to login as root.  I ran the command from admin - pwdreset root 90 nad got notified the password reset and what it was changed to.  I am still unable to login as root, getting the error that the account is locked.  What is the lock timeout for root?

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your question.  The cool down period for all accounts is currently 30 minutes.  Can you please try again after the cool down and see your root access is working?

Thank you,

Jarrett

I've waited over an hour, and still am unable to login as root.  I even went in as admin and did pwdreset again, still no luck.  I logged in as collectorlogin, and did su - to switch to root and I get a message that account locked due to 13 failed logins.

Is there no way to unlock the root account?  I didn't try and login all weekend, and just tried and it is still locked.  When I login in as collectorlogin, and execute su -, I get a message account locked due to 'x' failed logins.  'x' in this case is 23.

Hi,

Would you mind sharing on how did you unlock you root account?

Please advise. 

Regards,

Kanes.R

Hello Kanes,

The root account will unlock after 30 minutes of no login attempts.  After the 30 minute window has passed, you will be allow one new attempt to login.  Can you please try to login again after a 30 minute period?

Thank you,

Jarrett

@Jarrett Pomeroy wrote:

Hello Kanes,

The root account will unlock after 30 minutes of no login attempts.  After the 30 minute window has passed, you will be allow one new attempt to login.  Can you please try to login again after a 30 minute period?

Thank you,

Jarrett

Hi Mate,

It still does not work even after 30 minutes.

Regards,

Kanes.R

This is resolved.  Thank you.

Hello, could you tell me how you've resolved this issue.

I'm still wondering how to unlook my admin user.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards.

Renaud

Hello,

The admin user unlocked itself and I was able to login the next day.

Thanks,

Mike

I have the some problem, waitting for 3 days and the login console don't have great access.

Any other sugestion's?

Password:
Access denied
Using keyboard-interactive authentication.
Account locked due to 35 failed logins

Hello,

Once an account is locked, it will not allow a new login attempt for up to 30 minutes.  After this period has passed, a successful login will reset the failed attempt counter.  Do you know if the password for your account was recently changed or updated?

Thank you,

Jarrett

Hello everyone,

I have the same problem and I have waited 2 hours, I have 27 failures.

Help!!

Hi Sara,

Good Day. 

I have got the issue resolved and below is the following that we have performed:

1. Reboot the device. 

2. Use collector login to access and from there access the root account. 

3. DO NOT ACCESS the collector using root login using SSH as it is not allowed to be accessed via SSH or telnet from external. 

Even if the root account is locked it will get unlocked in 30 minutes, but if you have forgotten the password then a password recovery will need to be done. 

Regards,

Kanes.R

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: