cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Collectorlogin does not sudo to root properly

fwadmin
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to update to the new CollectorVersion 2.9.0 from 2.8.1.8. The ssh level admin, collectorlogin and root passwords were requiring reset under 2.8.1.8 when I went to start the backup/migration script part of the upgrade. I logged into admin, resetting the password and did a pwdreset collectorlogin 90, followed by a pwdreset root 90 to get new passwords as these accounts are needed for the upgrade. 

When I log in as collector login and then issue a "sudo root" or "sudo -" I don't get the root password prompt. It is instead 

[sudo] password for collectorlogin: 

If I enter the root password here, it gives me "Sorry, try again." If I enter the collectorlogin password, it completes with "collectorlogin is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported." 

I have restarted the collector server several times and reset the root and collector login passwords twice now. 

Any insights into what is happening or how to rectify. I am also opening a case with Cisco TAC. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

adias
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

once you connect via ssh with the user collectorlogin  the correct command to switch to user root is -->

$ su root

let me know if that works for you

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

adias
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

once you connect via ssh with the user collectorlogin  the correct command to switch to user root is -->

$ su root

let me know if that works for you

Hi Andre, 

Thanks for the quick response. That command works.  

I had upgraded another collector to 2.9 last week and sudo - was giving me just a password prompt that took me to root on that system. Moving on to this other one I expected the same behavior. I will update my notes to use the su root going forward. 

Thanks - Bill