Views
Helpful
Replies

CSPC 2.8.0.1 Access denied to CLI admin

danielbarri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

After 90 days I tried to change the admin, collectorlogin and root CLI password. I could change the collectorlogin and root password successfully.

But when I tried to access the admin cli I got "Account locked due to 152 failed logins".

Then from CLI root I performed:
root# service adminshell restart
root# service cspc restart

After that I cannot login with the expired password and thereby not able to change the password. See below outputs:

-------------

login as: admin
****************************************************************************************************
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CSP Collector

Please use below url to access CSP Collector appliance GUI
IPv4 URL : https://x.x.x.x:8001

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
****************************************************************************************************
Using keyboard-interactive authentication.
Account locked due to 151 failed logins
Password:
Access denied
Account locked due to 152 failed logins

----------------
CSPC sw version 2.8.0.1

From CLI root performed:
root# service adminshell restart
root# service cspc restart

Then I tried with the last known 100% working password and got "Access denied"

login as: admin

CSP Collector

Please use below url to access CSP Collector appliance GUI
IPv4 URL : https://x.x.x.x:8001

Password:
Access denied
Password:
Access denied
Password:

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Now I know that CSPC cli admin password can be 'recovered' when having root access.

In the past, in similar situation, TAC did a long procedure for the same; I'm wondering if this is something new?

---------

[root@si030-p ~]# whoami
root
[root@si030-p ~]# passwd admin
************************PASSWORD POLICY****************************

> New Password must be minimum of 9 characters in length
> New password must contain at least one capital letter, one small letter, one s pecial character and one numeric Example for new password : Cis@12cso
> User cannot set last previously used 10 passwords as new password

Changing password for user admin.
New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
[root@si030-p ~]# su admin

===========================================================================
Cisco Network Appliance Administration

To see the list of all the commands press '?'
admin#

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do not try many times, give some time between failure logins, use IE , i see some time has this issue with Chrome.

Follow below thread may help you to resolve the issue :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/smart-net-total-care-portal-and/cspc-collector-problem-with-adminshell-service/td-p/3954724

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

The issue is not with GUI admin but CLI admin via SSH, so no web browser involved in this, as I understand.

The thing is that I'm the only one who use to work with thi CSPC and I SSH accessed it successfully for a couple of months ago; so I don't know where it comes those 150 failed logins!! It seems to be some intrusion attempts.

jofrumki
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The number of login attempts is most likely from your security team doing pen testing on your servers, the root account has been known to be lockout out due to this as well. If possible please request that your CSPC be whitelisted as there is no way to alter the admin or root account names to avoid this situation. The PAM rules only allow for 3 attempts before it locks the account, please execute the following command from the root user.

# pam_tally2 -u admin -r

[root@si030-p ~]# pam_tally2 -u admin -r
Login Failures Latest failure From
admin 3 09/16/20 10:32:23 x.x.x.x

As mentioned earlier, the admin account is not locked any more. But now it's "Access denied" instead; and I'm trying with the last known and working password before its expiration.

Password:
Access denied
Password:
Access denied
Password:

What message you get when you from root use the command below

# su admin

It seems something happened to the last working password:

Password has Expired. Please reset the password

Old password:
New password:
Retype new password:

Old password mismatch

Press any key to exit
[root@si030-p ~]#

From the root user you can attempt to reset the admin password using the below command;

# passwd admin

Is the "# passwd admin" a kind of password recovery and a supported one? I don't want to worsen the situation.

> New password must contain at least one capital letter, one small letter, one special character and one numeric Example for new password : Cis@12cso

New password:

passwd is a Linux command to change a user's password, the output you are viewing is custom generated by the CSPC and is providing precautions regarding this particular user account. Please proceed with this passwd command, then attempt to login to the admin account. 

Now I know that CSPC cli admin password can be 'recovered' when having root access.

In the past, in similar situation, TAC did a long procedure for the same; I'm wondering if this is something new?

---------

[root@si030-p ~]# whoami
root

> New password must contain at least one capital letter, one small letter, one s pecial character and one numeric Example for new password : Cis@12cso

New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.

Cisco Network Appliance Administration

To see the list of all the commands press '?'
admin#

This password reset for the admin user has always been implemented this way, the process you may be referring to was used if all CLI access was compromised. As long as root access is active you can reset the passwords.

Now I recall, TAC did a GUI admin password recovery, having CLI root access; sorry.

Hi Daniel, can you explain how TAC did that GUI admin user password recovery please?

Having SSH root access to appliance was enough to do it?

Regards

Juan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: