Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSPC losing connectivity

Hello,

I installed a CSPC Virtual appliance last week, and now that I am setting it up and running discoveries and collections, I am running into an issue.  After a few hours, something happens on the server, and I am unable to run jobs, or configure anything in the web interface.  An error box pops up, and it is just a red X with OK.  When I go to server properties, all the IP information is gone, but if I ssh to the appliance and do a show ipconfig, it shows everything is connected.  It's as if the connectivity between the web interface and the server is disconnecting.  Is there anything I can run on the server to troubleshoot this?  We built the server from an OVA downloaded from Cisco's website, and it automatically setup all the vmware settings.

Thanks,

Mike

53 Replies 53

Just doing discoveries and inventories.  I have a weekly inventory scheduled and it has failed every week.  It is set to run tomorrow morning at 2 AM Eastern.  I come in Wednesday morning to check the job, and I can't login using my TACACS server credentials, that is my first clue that connectivity is broken.  So I SSH into the server, run the service cspc restart command, wait until it completes and then I can login.  Check the job and it failed.  I then manually run it, and it works.  Eventually, something will happen again and I lose connectivity and I have to run the command again. 

Another way I can tell something is wrong, I go to Administration, Server Properties, and everything is blank.  When it is working it shows the IP info and the time/timezone, and the server version.

Thanks,

Mike

Next time, try using the default username admin and password Admin#123 and see if it goes down again. I want to rule out any issue with the TACACS.

For the inventory that is failing - could you go to Reports > Inventory Jobs and send me a screen shot of the job log for the last one that failed?

Thanks,

Lynden

I logged in using the admin user, and the scheduled job didn't even run last night, or if it did, there is no log entry for it.  Here is a screenshot of that.  Also, when I try to pull up the job log for the last one that failed, it is just a blank screen.

Also, when I go to Reports, Job Management Reports, I get what is shown in Capture4.

Thanks

Hi Michael,

We're still working on this. Could you post:

1) The Server Properties section when it is blank

2) The Server Properties section when it is not blank (all the screens in that section)

3) Administration > View Installed Patches

4) Administration > Remote Authentication Servers to show the TACACs set up

5) The name of the entitlement file generated when you first set up the collector

Thanks,

Lynden

Screenshots attached.  I had to restart the service again this morning, I couldn't even view the installed patches or Remote Auth servers until I did.

Thank you Michael, I'll pass this along and see if we can replicate the issue.

Could you let me know what program you are using to SSH into the collector? Also, do you normally log in with the "admin" username, or the "collectorlogin" username when you SSH?

Thanks,

Lynden

I use SecureCRT mostly.  I've also used Putty.  When I login I mostly use admin, but I've been using collectorlogin so I can run the netstat command.  Thanks.

When you navigate to the collector through your browser, do you use the IP addresses like this:

https://10.20.53.88:8001

or do you use the hostname, if you have one assigned?

Thanks,

Lynden

Yes, I use the IP address as shown, no hostname.

Are there any other users that have access to the CSPC or are you the only one using it?

Right now it is mostly just me.  However, I did setup a few users, and one of them did tell me when they tried to login they were unable to.  I haven't had them try anymore until this is resolved.

Hi Michael,

Let's try this as an experiment:

1) Deploy a new VM with a different IP address

2) Don't do any of the other set-up

3) Test the login connectivity on it whenever you use the real one

4) If it is also experiencing login difficulties, try moving it to different places in the host, or change VLANs to see if that has any effect

Hopefully that will give us some more clues as to what might be going on.

Thanks,

Lynden

Working on this now, but what do you mean by not doing any of the other setup?  Other than licensing and registering the collector, and setting up remote authentications, I didn't do any other setup.  Will I be able to login to the gui without licensing and registering this collector?

Hello Michael,

On the new VM test, you can import your CSPC license so that you will be allowed to login to the GUI each time during your testing.  From there will not need to do any setup for credentials/discovery/jobs.

Thank you,

Jarrett

Logged into both servers this morning.  The original server, nothing is working.  The new server, stuff is working, but since it isn't really configured to do anything, I'm not sure how this is a test.

I tried running a backup on the original server this morning when I realized there were issues, and got the attached error.  I ran 3 backups yesterday without issue, before this crashed.  If I reset the service, I would be able to run the backup, and do anything else until it crashes again.

Just to be clear on the login issues, I normally never have issues logging in with the local admin account.  Just once, and that was after not using the server for a few days.  I deleted all the user accounts on the original server and the remote authentication servers, but that didn't help.  The issue isn't logging in, the issue is that something is crashing on the server that is preventing me from doing anything until I run the reset command.  Because of this, I can't schedule anything because it never runs.

Thanks

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: