Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSPC losing connectivity

Hello,

I installed a CSPC Virtual appliance last week, and now that I am setting it up and running discoveries and collections, I am running into an issue.  After a few hours, something happens on the server, and I am unable to run jobs, or configure anything in the web interface.  An error box pops up, and it is just a red X with OK.  When I go to server properties, all the IP information is gone, but if I ssh to the appliance and do a show ipconfig, it shows everything is connected.  It's as if the connectivity between the web interface and the server is disconnecting.  Is there anything I can run on the server to troubleshoot this?  We built the server from an OVA downloaded from Cisco's website, and it automatically setup all the vmware settings.

Thanks,

Mike

53 Replies 53

When it crashes, what happens when you refresh the broswer page? Does it show you the login prompt or does it not bring up the collector at all? If it does show the prompt, then without running the reset command, does it allow you to log back in?

When I refresh the browser it takes me back to a login prompt, and I am able to log in, but nothing still works.

Go to Reports > Discovery Jobs, expand the most recent jobs by clicking the little + buttons and send me a screenshot.

Go to Reports > Inventory Jobs, expand the most recent jobs by clicking the little + buttons and send me a screenshot.

It could be that some recurring job is getting hung.

They are attached.  In addition, I took a screenshot of the scheduled inventory job I setup, which hasn't run since February 10th, and I had to force run it on that day after I reset the service.

A new notification started today.  I did a discovery, and then ran the collection profile.  The screenshot is what is constantly popping up now during the collection profile.  Never have seen that message before.

This server is becoming useless.  Anytime I want to do anything, I need to reset the service.  I can't schedule anything because it always fails because of this.

Is it possible to run a backup, and then restore the backup to the new server I built?

Hello Michael.

Do you happen to know if the devices causing this issue is possibly a third party device?

You can check to see if you have any third party devices in the option: Reports -> Managed Devices. Look at the "Vendor Name" column.

As far as the backup option, this is located under: Administration -> Backup.

However, because of the various problems you seem to have encountered, I would suggest to rather than performing the "full" backup, you simply backup the essential data; device credentials and currently managed devices.

Then only restore those onto the second collector.

To obtain the list of managed devices, click on Reports -> Managed Devices. Then click on the blue arrow to the right of the search box, select CSV format for simplicity. On your other collector you can run a discovery of known IP addresses, copying and pasting the IPs from the exported file.

Finally, use the export/import feature in the option: Settings -> Device Credentials to backup/restore them from collector to collector. For this I recommend the Pari Device Credentials Repository (.xml) format.

Regards,

Cesar

I don't have any non-cisco equipment or non-supported equipment in my inventory.

I already did a full backup and full restore to the new server, and it appears to have transferred the issue over.  So now, I am building another new server, and will use the method you recommend.

Thanks.

I built a new server using the OVA from Cisco (actually, I built 4).  I had them build on different hosts, and even different host hardware (Dell vs Cisco UCS).  Everytime I get the same issue.  The latest one, built it, pur a basic configuration on it (IP, DNS, NTP, and Timezone), then logged in, imported the license, and followed the steps above to import my credentials, and did a fresh discovery using the IP addresses of my devices.

Came in this morning, logged in ok using the admin account, but tried running a backup and it failed.  Everything seemed ok, so I reset the service, waited, logged back in, and was able to run a backup.  Ran the collection profile as well this morning, after the reset, and it ran fine and uploaded to the portal.

I'm going to schedule some stuff (backup and inventory collection), and see what happens. 

Hi Michael,

Glad you're having some luck. Hold off on doing anything with backups for now, since it sounds like it might be a bug related to that. We're going to try to replicate it on our side.

Thanks,

Lynden

Hi Michael,

I just wanted to check in on you. We maybe have identified an issue where the CSPC is accepting SNMP traps which is causing connectivity issues for some customers.

If you run the command:

sudo touch $CSPCHOME/donotStartSyslog $CSPCHOME/donotStartSnmpTrap $CSPCHOME/donotStartFtp $CSPCHOME/donotStartTftp; chown casuser:casusers $CSPCHOME/donot* ; service cspc restart

It should disable the traps server on the collector. Let me know either way.

Thanks,

Lynden

I ran the command on the server.  I will let you know if I still see this issue.

Thanks,

Mike

This didn't help anything.  Ran that command right before I posted yesterday, and checked my scheduled inventory job that was supposed to run this morning and it failed.  Also, getting errors trying to access some things on the collector gui.

Is the collector that you set up without the backups still working?

No, none of the 4 servers I setup have ever worked properly.

Hello Michael,

It looks like the first commands did not take effect properly.

Can you please trying running each command one by one?

///

sudo touch /opt/cisco/ss/adminshell/applications/CSPC/donotStartSyslog

sudo touch /opt/cisco/ss/adminshell/applications/CSPC/donotStartSnmpTrap

sudo touch /opt/cisco/ss/adminshell/applications/CSPC/donotStartFtp

sudo touch /opt/cisco/ss/adminshell/applications/CSPC/donotStartTftp

sudo chown casuser:casusers /opt/cisco/ss/adminshell/applications/CSPC/donot*

collector restart

///

Please let me know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Jarrett

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: