cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Full UCS collection support

Symon Fenton
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of customers that have UCS and the collector. However, I only see the UCS fabric interconnects, and any cards added to the FI's. I don't see the blades, chassis and other items. 

Other than turning on SNMP, and make sure the FI's IP addresses are in the collector range, what else needs to be done? 

21 Replies 21

npicard
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Symon,

I am investigating your inquiry with our experts and will get back to you with a response as soon as possible.

Npicard, 

Thanks for the follow up. Unfortunately, the collector is now user supported and not under smartnet at these accounts. I don't believe TAC will provide any support. 

I saw a while back what we need to do to get SNMP turned on for UCS. Is that still the process? 

Cheers, 

Hi Simon,

Yes we can collect on UCS devices with SNMP enabled.
The UCS C series are affected by the following bug for snmp issues CSCud86928. This bug has been resolved but you will need to verify you are on an updated firmware version not impacted by the bug. You can verify this with the UCS team. There was a bug open for the portal (CSCux42356) which has been resolved. Please ensure you are on an updated firmware version and the serial number shows collected in the managed device list. Then your UCS should report on the portal.

It's not with the C Series. It's the B-series blades. 

Can you share which version of the Collection Profile you have on CSPC?  You can look in Help>About and then click on View Versions and look for any of the RP entries.  Alternatively, you can look at Settings>Manage Data Collection Profiles and look at the one that should be named sntc1x_min_cp.  If you double-click on it to open its settings and then click on the Profile Details tab, you will see the Rule Package version as a field there.  The value should be something like 3.xx.

It is: 

CSPC2-DD-rp3.19_1.55_SNTC1x

Thanks so much Simon.  Does the UCS FI have SNMP enabled?  If you look at the UCS FI in SNTC portal do you see inventory information for it, such as Product ID, Serial Number, etc?  Any additional details you can send would help.

Yes, I have SNMP enabled, as I get the 6200's. No serial numbers and nothing else but the two FI's in inventory. 

Management Address
XX.XX.XX - I blanked this. 
OS Type
UCS NX-OS
OS Version
5.2(3)N2(2.23f)
Product Family
Cisco UCS 6200 Series Fabric Interconnects
Product Type
Servers - Unified Computing

Thanks for the info Symon.  Clearly we're getting some SNMP if you were able to get the OS Type, OS Version and Product Family.  For the 2 FI IP's in the CSPC, are they the A & B side IP's or the VIPs?

Agreed there's something just not all of what's there. It looks like the A side and B side. no VIP. 

Hi Symon,

Go to Reports > Collection Profile Run Summary and View Data for your collection profile.

From there you should be able to filter to the IP of one of the devices that appears to be effected.

Scroll through some of the MIBs and see which ones seem to be populated. See if any of them are marked as "Successful" but appear to be blank. (You can look at a functioning device to see the difference.)

I'll ask you for more specific information we need once you've verified that so we know how to proceed with troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Lynden

Thanks Lynden.  The specific tables you can check should be:

_CISCO-UNIFIED-COMPUTING-COMPUTE-MIB_ComputeBoard
_CISCO-UNIFIED-COMPUTING-EQUIPMENT-MIB_EquipmentFanEntry
_CISCO-UNIFIED-COMPUTING-EQUIPMENT-MIB_EquipmentIOCardEntry
_CISCO-UNIFIED-COMPUTING-EQUIPMENT-MIB_EquipmentPsuEntry
_CISCO-UNIFIED-COMPUTING-EQUIPMENT-MIB_EquipmentSwitchCardEntry

I'm not near the collector engine this week, and I'll ask that they take a look at it and let you know. It might be a few days. 

cheers, 

I have those screens from the collector, but don't want to publish them to this site. Who can I PM this information? 

The error message says: Unable to open SNMP channel, 

And all those MIB's show SNMP failed. 

Cheers, 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: