cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No Serial Numbers in Discovery

vantipov
Level 1
Level 1

I configured the version 2.7.3 today and ran my first discovery using correct SNTP strings.  I show no Serial Number info on this Managed Devices tab.  This is the main reason I deployed this.  What am I missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

adias
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The collector not displaying the  serial number is an expected behavior the serial number column in managed device list is a legacy feature,
The collector CSPC is not a NMS system and it is not designed to provide you reports directly.
when you have successful upload to SNTC portal, all your added value reports will be generated from there and it will show SN in there.
All reporting should be run from the portal instead of the collector.  
The reason is that duplicates are a function of the Portal and it is best to avoid it on the collector by disabling the feature here.
If for some reason there is an imperative reason you must have it on the collector  you can  enable the serial number field,  
after this is enabled and rerunning a discovery  you will able to view the serial numbers in the managed list of devices.
But I would not recommend the change

I also agree that having a blank column is a misleading display. I am requesting an enhancement to only display column if below is selected for future releases

if crucial you can enable by doing the following
On collector
Settings -> Discovery Settings -> Serial Number Duplicate Check -> Yes

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

adias
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The collector not displaying the  serial number is an expected behavior the serial number column in managed device list is a legacy feature,
The collector CSPC is not a NMS system and it is not designed to provide you reports directly.
when you have successful upload to SNTC portal, all your added value reports will be generated from there and it will show SN in there.
All reporting should be run from the portal instead of the collector.  
The reason is that duplicates are a function of the Portal and it is best to avoid it on the collector by disabling the feature here.
If for some reason there is an imperative reason you must have it on the collector  you can  enable the serial number field,  
after this is enabled and rerunning a discovery  you will able to view the serial numbers in the managed list of devices.
But I would not recommend the change

I also agree that having a blank column is a misleading display. I am requesting an enhancement to only display column if below is selected for future releases

if crucial you can enable by doing the following
On collector
Settings -> Discovery Settings -> Serial Number Duplicate Check -> Yes

Thank you for the response.  I understand that using the portal is the primary method.  I wanted to make sure that my collection was working correctly prior to the upload.  I will proceed with this new understanding. 

grettel.aviles
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm running CSPC 2.7.4, tried the solution given here and in many other forums...enable serial duplicate check and rediscovery of devices, but still the serial numbers are not shown. The serial numbers are shown on the SNTC portal...so is the CSPC not going to display the serial numbers? The release notes don't say anything specific about this either.

Any advice or help is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Grettel