cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on SNTC and Inventory

Ryan Curry
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer that is looking to implement the collector for SNTC but they had a question that I don't know the answer to.  They asked if they were to perform a code upgrade on a device that isn't covered under SmartNet, would it throw up a red flag at Cisco because the inventory info had changed yet they didn't have the device covered?

I thought they wouldn't get in trouble (though I suggested they cover all devices under SmartNet if they plan to upgrade) as it is more of an information tool but I wanted to get the thoughts of you on here.

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tnewell
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ryan -

Currently, there's no mechanism within the SNTC portal or collection which correlates an upgrade of device software or operating system version updates with an uncovered product.  So, no red flags. However, I believe the ULA (user license agreement) explains the legal obligations the user accepts when the software is downloaded.  Customer should abide by these requirements. 

hope this helps, 

Teresa

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your question.  We will have an expert respond shortly.

Cheers,
Cheri

tnewell
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ryan -

Currently, there's no mechanism within the SNTC portal or collection which correlates an upgrade of device software or operating system version updates with an uncovered product.  So, no red flags. However, I believe the ULA (user license agreement) explains the legal obligations the user accepts when the software is downloaded.  Customer should abide by these requirements. 

hope this helps, 

Teresa

Thanks Teresa, I completely agree and have had that discussion with the client - typically for this client we don't see upgrades on non-covered equipment, but they have had rogue admins in the past and didn't want to get burned.