cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SM-X-ES3-16-P showing hostname as parent router in SNTC Portal

jmumm
Level 1
Level 1

I have some SM-X-ES3-16-P modules inside our routers, with SNTC collecting the information about them.

Inside my collector, the SM-X-ES3-16-P modules show up in the "managed devices" showing the hostname configured on the SM-X-ES3-16-P.  Then when the data is exported/imported to the SNTC portal, the hostnames of the SM-X-ES3-16-P modules will be the parent router, NOT the configured hostname.

Has anyone else seen this?  Bug? or configuration issue?

Thanks

10 Replies 10

Chris Camplejohn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Where specifically are you looking at this in the portal? These "intelligent modules" will show up as a hardware module whose parent (hostname) is that of the router in which they are installed. If you've also managed the SM's direct IP address, those will show up as a Host with the SM's hostname. The hardware essentially has 2 parents: one is the router and one is the managed module. But the portal will only maintain a single parent.

Greetings Chris,

I'm searching in the portal for the hostname that's configured on the SM-X-ES3-16, and that hostname is found in the collector, but is missing from the portal. Inside the collector, I have separate entries for the SM-X module and the router. In the portal, the SM-X is only seen as a module of the router, not as its own entity.

I want the portal to show the hostname configured in the SM-X module, as it's own "chassis" with the proper hostname.

The "managed" version of the SM should show up under "All Hosts" whereas the hardware will show up under "All Equipment".

Unfortunately the "All Hosts" view is unacceptable for use as its table only has a sliver of the information available compared to the "custom inventory".

If the SM-X-ES3-16 is indeed a host (as indicated by its inclusion in managed devices within the collector) I would expect to see this managed device, with its proper hostname within the "Custom inventory" view, or any other view besides just the "all hosts" view specifically.

Is there any way to achieve this?  This really will make SNTC unusable for our needs.

I think I understand what you are trying to accomplish but not sure. Let me explain how the data is organized and we can go from there. I explained before how the intelligent modules are done. When we talk to the host router and it tells us about the hardware of the intelligent module, that host router isn't aware of the hostname of the intelligent module. It only knows it has the hardware present. When we manage the intelligent module itself, we will know its hostname. SNTC will de-duplicate (by serial number) this hardware since you only have actually one module. It can only associate this hardware to one parent. In your case if it is associated to the router's hostname, then in the custom inventory report you will not see the hostname of the managed SM. I know the relationship to "all" parents isn't currently maintained. But I'll check with development if there is any other way to make the correlation.

Could you also Private Message me the customer name and the hostname and serial number of the SM so I can validate how it is being reported?

Thank you for your help, Chris! I will PM you the details.

While your last reply makes sense for why the portal is inventorying it that way, the collector is not inventorying them that way in the managed devices view. Is there any option to have SNTC settings unlink the "parent" relationship to see these devices as the collector shows them?

Can you share what you are seeing in the collector?

PM'ed that image as well. Thanks

Thanks for the details. This confirms what I suspected and it is behaving as I shared. What you see in the collector is just the collected data about the SM as a "host". It doesn't reflect it as hardware per-se. The collector isn't trying to be intelligent about how it presents inventory. So for your use-case I believe SNTC is functioning as designed but you need the design to be enhanced to allow you to see all the parental relationships for this intelligent module. I would recommend you reach back to Jennifer and see if she can assist in the process for getting an enhancement submitted.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: