cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNTC - Not collecting serial number of WLC in HA Redundancy

jmumm
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to get SNTC and the collector to acknowledge the HA redundant WLC in an HA WLC pair? 

Only the serial number of the first WLC in the pair is captured, essentially missing 50% of the wireless controller hardware I have.

If this isn't possible, is there already an enhancement request to throw some weight behind?

Thank you.

13 Replies 13

kehrhard
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jmum,,

Have you turned on Serial Number Duplicate Check in your Discovery Settings?  If not, that may be the issue.

I hope that helps!

So enabling that in settings will allow it to collect the second device?  

What version is your WLC running?  I believe you also need to be running at least 8.1.102.0 to get the enhancement CSCur13394 which allows SNMP collection from the WLC Standby.

Thank you for those details!  I just enabled "Serial Number Duplicate Check" (as it was not turned on previously) and I will follow-up in a week after my next discovery and collection to see if this worked as desired.

For everyone else's reference, I'm running WLCs on 8.8.x and 8.5.140, and CSPC 2.8.1.2.

Kehrhard, after making the change, 2 of my 20+ WLC HA pairs successfully showed the "duplicate" mac address in the "Custom Inventory" report in my SNTC portal.

The collection and upload of all my WLC pairs happened after I made the change to enable "Duplicate" mac addresses, so all of my WLC HA pairs should have captured this information, but they didn't.

How can I further troubleshoot why two of them did but the remaining ones did not?

Thanks for your help.

Hello jmumm,

Are there any FWs in place that may be blocking the CSPC's SNMP requests?  If not, have you tried running a new collection?

For the firewalls - No. The primary WLC of each HA pair is collected fine. The communication is working fine, but the second serial number is not captured. I do have one WLC HA pair that was successfully captured, and no firewall differences between that and the other WLC locations.

New Collections - yes, I have them automatically running every week. No changes in what is captured yet.

Hello jmumm,

Is there any chance that the other WLCs might have different SNMP credentials?  If so you may have to increase the cap on how many credentials the CSPC attempts to use.

I hope that helps!

No.  These are HA SSO WLCs, part of an HA pair. They are not independent WLCs, and since they are in SSO they run on the same config as the primary WLC. All of the primary WLCs are collected fine.

Hello jmumm,

Would you mind posting the sysobjectid for one of the WLC's in question?

Sending you a PM.

Hello jmumm,

I have discussed the issue with one of my teammates and unfortunately, it seems I was not aware of the fact that the Redundant WLCs do not show up by design.  When SSO is enabled, there is no SNMP/GUI communication to the standby WLC. Logically they represent a single unit and the secondary does not process any SNMP taps/messages.  This is the reason why the secondary will not answer to any SNMP query.  The best way to get any real information from the standby unit is to SSH or console in directly to the redundancy management IP address and use “show inventory” or any show command in that matter.

There is currently no enhancement request / bug to get this issue changed but I will ask around to see if there's any plans to discuss it with Development.

I hope that helps!

Kevin

Kevin,

Please start the enhancement request/bug.  If these were really one WLC, we shouldn't have had to buy the second WLC...

But since it is separate hardware, I have to keep track of it for inventory and renewals, and SNTC is intentionally hurting me here.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: