cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNTC Portal - Cannot Create Segments - "There were no users attached to this inventory"

koodeez311
Level 1
Level 1

I have myself and three other users assigned as "Customer Administrator." When I navigate to Dashboards --> Admin --> Segment Management (dashlet) and click on Actions --> View/Modify (or Create a New Segment), there is not option for Select User.  Based on the excerpt below from the SNTC user guide, the option does not exist.  I would assume that Customer Administrators automatically are assigned to all segments that are created.  When I try to create a segment, I automatically get the message below when creating the segment.  After setting up conditions and clicking on See Device List, no hosts show and I get "There are not matching devices available in the inventory..." which i know is not the case.

So I will be very grateful if anyone can please let me know what I am missing... 

no_user.JPG

Complete these steps in order to grant users access to data in a segment:

1. Right-click a segment name
  2. In the Actions button, choose View/Modify.
  3. Click Select User. You can select all users or individual users.
  4. Click Add in order to grant access to the selected users. Users and other customer administrators receive an email notification when they are granted access to a segment or when their access is revoked.
  5. Click Apply in order to save your changes.

Complete these steps in order to view or modify a segment:

1. Right-click a segment name.
  2. In the Actions button, choose View/Modify.
  3. Modify the settings, as necessary.
  4. Click Apply in order to save your changes.

Complete these steps in order to make a copy of a segment:

1. Right-click a segment.
  2. In the Actions button, choose Copy to a New Segment.
  3. Enter a new, unique name for this segment.
  4. Modify the settings, as necessary.
  5. Click Create.
7 Replies 7

CC Cisco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Let me review some of the details. You are correct that CustomerAdmins cannot be added to a segment as they have global visibility by default.

Can you share the details of your company/inventory and segment paramenters?

Then I'll be able to investigate further.

Regards,
Cesar

I have 50+ sites.  I would like to segment equipment by each site ID.  As a customer admin, I would think it would add them to each segment created as they have global visibility.  If I create a simple conditions (host begins with "BOS" or IP Address begins with "10.57"), it finds no devices but they are there.  I show around 9K devices that recently uploaded.  All my site inventories are there but I have no way to segment them.

Hello,

Upon further investigation we determined that there is an issue with segment creation and modifications.

We've created the following bug ID for this issue - CSCvg48718.

I'm afraid that until the bug is corrected, you will not be able to create any segments.

Regards,

Cesar

Although this is unfortunate, you gave me an answer and it wasn't due to my incompetence :) So thank you for creating a bug for this issue!

Cesar,

I am following back up on this issue as it looks as if progress has been made and I want to give an update on the status from my end.  I can now add users but still cannot create the segments due to no devices being found (see below).  Also, I can only add me as a user and a partner that I elected as CBR.  For the other customer administrators I added, will they also see the segments (after I create them) and just add themselves to the segments or will they have to recreate them too?  

No_Devices.JPG

Good morning,

The issue we found was precisely with the device selection, that functionality appears to throw an internal error, looking at the bug status, it doesn't seem resolved yet.

Now, in regards to your other question:

User assignment for segment is only required when you want to limit a user to *only view that segment*. It looks like your account has 2 non-admin users, a CBRUser and a CustomerUser. Those can be assigned to view the segment.

Anyone with Admin role can view all segments by default, in fact if the same user has multiple roles, CustomerAdmin and CustomerUser for instance, even if you limit what segments they can view, their Admin role will overwrite that and allow you to still view everything.

If your goal is to simply create segments that should be visible to everyone, then user assignment is not necessary at all. User assignment is only needed when you want to restrict the view to the particular users.

Hope this helps.

Cesar

Thank you for the quick reply and answering my questions thoroughly!  It is greatly appreciated!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: