cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNTC showing false hardware EoL Alerts

twylyghtcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Currently getting invalid alerts for EoL for "WS-X4K-CLOCK-E=" when our equipment is "WS-X4K-CLOCK-E" (screenshots attached)

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I've got some preliminary answers, but waiting still to confirm all of my questions.  It appears that the EOL for this PID tracks the parent chassis type only.  So you are correct that your listing is inaccurate.  We'll be removing that shortly.

View solution in original post

You're spot on.  I've not been able to get the full picture from the BU yet, but in the meantime, that EOL mapping has been removed.  Not sure if the sync times to SNTC, so give it some time to see that they disappear from your list.

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention.  It is definitely a one-off oddity that we missed.

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Chris Camplejohn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

These two are the same products.  The one with "=" is the spare PID, which is only a difference in how it is ordered.  But the EOL notice applies to both.  You cannot still purchase that PID and it is covered by EOL8710.

I appreciate the prompt reply.

I noted EOL8710 (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/eol_C51-715893.html) refers to a chassis replacement in the Product Migration Options.  In turn, this referred me to EOL8168-Amended (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/eol_c51-706059.html).

In Table 2 of this page, we are directed to address this by moving to chassis WS-C4510R+E.  However, if you note the first attachment, the equipment referenced is already this model of chassis.

I want to make sure I understand.  Are you saying you have a WS-C4510R+E chassis and it reports a WS-X4K-CLOCK-E= module?  And you don't think this module in this chassis is actually EOL?  If so, I'll need to check with the business unit to understand what their intent is.

Yes and no. 

I've attached two screenshots to demonstrate what we are showing directly from the CLI on these WS-C4510R+E chassis with the WS-X4K-CLOCK-E module.  The second screenshot is what SmartNet is showing for the same part (SN matches) for the clock module, but as a WS-X4K-CLOCK-E= module.

I understand what you had stated in that WS-X4K-CLOCK-E and WS-X4K-CLOCK-E= modules should be the same.  However, in either case, EOL8710 refers me to a remediation of replacement chassis via EOL8168-Amended. 

When I navigate to this page it appears to assume that WS-X4K-CLOCK-E= is built into the WS-C4510R-E chassis and the fix this is to replace it with a WS-C4510R+E chassis (which is what we've got in production). 

On a side note, those chassis are accurately reflected in SNTC (screenshot attached)

Thanks.  Researching further and will let you know.

I've got some preliminary answers, but waiting still to confirm all of my questions.  It appears that the EOL for this PID tracks the parent chassis type only.  So you are correct that your listing is inaccurate.  We'll be removing that shortly.

My thanks for the update sir. 

I've also re-reviewed the upload to SNTC from CSPC to ensure that we didn't have any inconsistencies that may have filtered from a possible bogus entry.  I've also been in contact with our rep and cross-referenced two other enterprise databases to further ensure that I haven't given you inconsistent information. 

As it stands, everything that I've been able to parse so far remains consistent with my original upload. 

You're spot on.  I've not been able to get the full picture from the BU yet, but in the meantime, that EOL mapping has been removed.  Not sure if the sync times to SNTC, so give it some time to see that they disappear from your list.

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention.  It is definitely a one-off oddity that we missed.

My thanks for being diligent with the follow-up, sir.  I will keep an eye out for when this entry gets removed.

In revisiting this after a few days, it appears that the line item is still listed in SNTC.  I drilled into the instance, and the modules are still listed as WS-X4K-CLOCK-E= rather than WS-X4K-CLOCK-E.  I expect that this is why this alert is still active in our profile.

I've checked our CSPC virtual appliance to try and see if this is relaying the incorrect information, but I can only drill as far as the chassis serial number.  However, that information does corroborate with everything else I can find (screenshots attached)

The spare/non-spare PID isn't the issue.  The EOL mapping to that bulletin was deleted last week.  But I'm not sure of the sync interval of those changes into SNTC and the reprofiling timeline for your data.  Let me see if I can find an answer for that.

SNTC Portal will recalculate alerts daily for any changes.  I see the DB knows this alert isn't active but checking why it didn't get picked up for you in your case.  It would help if you sent another collection and upload to the portal.  Last one it seems was May 19th.

It appears that the latest upload has processed, but the alerts are still present.

I still see the latest is May 20th for upload, unless I'm looking at the wrong customer/inventory.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: