cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What does the "IP Address" mandatory parameter effect when using .CSV file to import inventory

Jerry.Lv2016
Level 1
Level 1

Hey support-team

I have two question about using .CSV file to import inventoty.

1.The IP address of device is always private,I think it is an unuseful parameter in the sample of .CSV file.But why it is mandatory?

2.An device always has many ip address, which one should be selected? 

7 Replies 7

npicard
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jerry,

The IP address is the recommended value to use because that is what would show in that field in the portal if your devices were being collected. You can use any unique value that will be meaningful to you when viewing your inventory in the portal.

Hi npicard

Thank you for your answer.

I just wonder why it's mandatory,it seems unuseful

Lyndon Siu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When using the CSV import process, the IP Address and Hostname values can be useful for allowing you to associate related devices.  For example, the same IP Address and Hostname can be used for the chassis and its modules.

Bobby

Hi Lyndon

Thank you for your answer.

So the IP Address is one used as a symbol to identify every device.But for this side, I wonder  if  only use the Hostname is  enough,otherwise I think the IP Address is duplicate with Hostname,isn't it ?

Hi

I have another question.For devices, which have additional module of separate PID and Serial Number on it.When use the CSV file to import its inventory,how to fill the parameters of the module,under the line of device with the same Hostname and IP Address ?  

Hi Jerry,

If you are entering chassis and its modules, the chassis entry should precede the modules within the CSV file.

Bobby

for example: 

Hostname    IPAddress  SerialNumber   ProductID

A               1.1.1.1        FOCxxxxxx     Chassis

A               1.1.1.1        FOXyyyyyy      Modul

Right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: