cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect non-fabric AP’s to fabric 9800, is it possible ?

aleopoldie
Level 3
Level 3

Hello experts,

I have a question regarding SDA Wireless, we have 2 9800 in our fabric, and we have a remote site with some 2800 APs but non fabric.

Is it possible to connect these non-fabric APs to the fabric 9800? We need to have the fabric SSID’s on the remote site, perhaps do we have to create them as OTT mode ?

Thank you.

Alex 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

One important call out is that access points which are fabric disabled will not broadcast Fabric Enabled WLANs. I would recommend the following:

1. Create the Over the Top WLAN (Fabric Disabled)

2. Create a new wireless network profile which will be use for the non-fabric wireless sites

3. Add the sites, buildings, and floors which will be non-fabric to the wireless network profile you just created

4. Add the OTT WLAN to the wireless network profile

After the steps above have been completed, you will need to provision the wireless LAN controller. Assign the APs to the proper floors and provision them as well if you haven't already.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dan Rowe
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Aleopoldie,

Yes, this is possible. The access points at the non-fabric site can connect to the 9800 Fabric-Enabled wireless LAN controller. As you mentioned, we will broadcast over-the-top (OTT) WLANs from these non-fabric sites while the fabric sites can broadcast Fabric-Enabled WLANs.

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 2.06.17 PM.png 

Best Regards,

Hello Danirowe,

thank you very much for your answer !

So if I want to provide the fabric ssid to the non-fabric AP, can you confirm I have to create the same ssid (same name, same configurstion) but in OTT? Meaning I will have each ssid twice, one in fabric mode and the other one in OTT ?

best regards

One important call out is that access points which are fabric disabled will not broadcast Fabric Enabled WLANs. I would recommend the following:

1. Create the Over the Top WLAN (Fabric Disabled)

2. Create a new wireless network profile which will be use for the non-fabric wireless sites

3. Add the sites, buildings, and floors which will be non-fabric to the wireless network profile you just created

4. Add the OTT WLAN to the wireless network profile

After the steps above have been completed, you will need to provision the wireless LAN controller. Assign the APs to the proper floors and provision them as well if you haven't already.

Hello Danirowe,

Thank you for your answer. That's very helpfull ! And I happy new year :-)

Can you just confirm that I can create the OTT SSID with the same SSID name than the fabric-SSID ?

Thank you,

A.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: