cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fabric VNS Scale

craneman1
Level 1
Level 1

If I have a fabric and I add 9200 series switches that support only 4 virtual networks.. does that mean the entire fabric is limited to 4 virtual networks even if I have 9300/9500 deployed in the fabric.....  I would not think so but looking for data on this topic.. seems as though you could have other switches supporting more than 4 vns but the 9200's would be limited....Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@craneman1 , it depends on the order in which the 9200s are added.

If you have an existing SD-Access site with more than 4VNs, then the 9200 should not be allowed to join that site.

If you have an existing site with fewer than 4 VNs and that site includes 9200s,  then you would not be able to enable more than 4 VNs in that site.

All that said, we now have a feature called Fabric Zones which allows you to control which VNs are deployed on Edge Nodes in the fabric site. For example, if one edge node is a 9200 and one is a 9300, then you could deploy just 2 VNs to the 9200 while 5 VNs are deployed to the 9300. However, if you want all 5 VNs on the 9200 then this would not be possible.

You can find information on Fabric Zones in the Cisco DNA Center User Guides starting with 2.2.3.x , and there is a Cisco Live presentation on Fabric Zones in the On-Demand Library at ciscolive.com at https://www.ciscolive.com/on-demand/on-demand-library.html?search=3833&search=3833#/session/1655479473366001lfCA .

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking and Cloud Group

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@craneman1 , it depends on the order in which the 9200s are added.

If you have an existing SD-Access site with more than 4VNs, then the 9200 should not be allowed to join that site.

If you have an existing site with fewer than 4 VNs and that site includes 9200s,  then you would not be able to enable more than 4 VNs in that site.

All that said, we now have a feature called Fabric Zones which allows you to control which VNs are deployed on Edge Nodes in the fabric site. For example, if one edge node is a 9200 and one is a 9300, then you could deploy just 2 VNs to the 9200 while 5 VNs are deployed to the 9300. However, if you want all 5 VNs on the 9200 then this would not be possible.

You can find information on Fabric Zones in the Cisco DNA Center User Guides starting with 2.2.3.x , and there is a Cisco Live presentation on Fabric Zones in the On-Demand Library at ciscolive.com at https://www.ciscolive.com/on-demand/on-demand-library.html?search=3833&search=3833#/session/1655479473366001lfCA .

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

so you mean "However, if you want all 7 VNs on the 9300 then this would not be possible."

@craneman1 , I have corrected the original text.

The 2 VNs on the 9200 could also exist on the 9300s even though they are in different Fabric Zones. So you could have :

Zone 1 - VN A, VN B on 9200s

Zoe 2 - VN A, VN B , VN C, VN D, VN E on 9300s

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon