Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a windows-based SFTP server for DNA Automation Backup failed

Adding a windows-based SFTP host to DNAC failed.  "No Permission..." warning at UI.

In contrast a SFTP session could be established from the maglev CLI to the SFTP host successfully.

Whats different between DNA App and CLI behavior for SFTP connections ?

As stated in the DNAC admin guide only linux-based SFTP hosts are supported.

Any reason for this limitation for SFTP service ?

Please share your experience / feedback !

1 Reply 1

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
So you are correct. The GUI backup configuration must use either nfs or a linux based repo. That information as you stated is mentioned in Cisco docs. Note that even if you properly setup a Windows based SFTP host and attempt to use it it will fail. This is because one of the steps DNAC takes to determine/verify that the remote host is a linux host upon username/pass verification is that it will run a uname check. Once the uname check fails you see this specific error in the DNAC gui:
'Remote server is not supported: Error running uname on remote server'

We have experienced remote backup issues in early versions of code so the workaround was to configure and run the backup locally to a DNAC node in the cluster on a partition with enough space. Then ssh to the node, tar up that directory, and move it off of the host. I am not recommending this, but sharing a workaround from my experience. I strongly suggest setting up a remote repo and ensuring it works as expected.

Lastly, for anything that may not be included in the sw release you are running that you feel would be a nice feature request please utilize the 'make-a-wish' utility in the DNAC gui. I use this all the time and Cisco is pretty responsive. Good luck & HTH!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: