Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9600 Seed Device

techno.it
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can someone confirm if 9600 is supported as seed device?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I won’t reach to that conclusion without contacting TAC or your account team, they can verify from BU, support documents are written by content developers not engineers so they are not always accurate. Also if you don’t do LAN automation from seed device, you can still provision devices through DNAC templates with minimum base config. 

-hope this helps-

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Benjamin-A
Level 1
Level 1

Hi techno.it,

LAN-Automation is supported on C9600. The following Device Images are supported:

IOS XE 16.11.1c
IOS XE 16.12.2t
IOS XE 16.12.1s

While IOS XE 16.12.2t is the Cisco recommended Image.

You can find these information in the Cisco Compatibility Matrix for DNAC https://content.cisco.com/compatibilitymatrix.html

.:|:..:|:.Please rate helpful posts.:|:..:|:.

Thanks for the reply

So 9606 can be configured as seed device? 

I was doubtful because this document doesn’t mentions 9600

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center/tech_notes/b_dnac_sda_lan_automation_deployment.html#id_89964

techno.it
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone please cross check this as we have fresh installation  next week

Appreciating any suggestions.

techno.it
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone please?

Hi,

The release notes for DNAC 1.3.x and other documentation only mention support until 9500 series, i would suggest confirming this with your Account team or Cisco TAC before proceeding further with the implementation.

Thanks,

Manish

I have C9500-24Y4C as fusion, can fusion be configured as seed device ?

Thanks for sharing the guides.

So seed device can be any can be any catalyst switch (supporting PnP) with L2 interfaces that DNA center would use to automatically build the underlay network for an SDA fabric.

The links between Fusion to Border node will be layer 2 trunk and link between Border and Underlay network will be L2 initially until the switches are provision and automated through DNA.

Hence, 9600 can also be used as Seed because it supports PnP.

I don't think you can use Fusion as seed device.

On seed device you specify the port connected to the PnP device and after LAN Automation it will create a L3 link to the PnP edge device and also create an ISIS neighborship. Also at the time seed was limited to 2 hop, preferable 1 hop.

so if you have 9500 as distribution (MDF), i would recommend to use that as seed for all Edge (IDFs) connected to it.

here is a picture from my old notes, and LAN automation logs, might be of some help to you.

-hope this helps-

@ammahend:

Thanks for the clarification. The problem is I have 9600 as Border nodes and 9300 as FE. I don't have a supported aggregation/distribution switch.

I won’t reach to that conclusion without contacting TAC or your account team, they can verify from BU, support documents are written by content developers not engineers so they are not always accurate. Also if you don’t do LAN automation from seed device, you can still provision devices through DNAC templates with minimum base config. 

-hope this helps-

Thanks for your help @ammahend.

I will check with Cisco TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: