cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco LISP can communicate between same segment like VxLAN?

mhiyoshi
Level 3
Level 3

Hello

I am refering to the following URL however I can not understand yet. So I would like to ask how to configure 

the LISP routing for same segment.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/lisp-fundamentals-and-troubleshooting-basics/ta-p/3155439 

I just want to do the following image.

LISP-topology.png

Actually is it possible?

Best Regards,

Masanobu Hiyoshi

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Just for curiosity, can explain what is your goal ?   I´m asking this cause LISP has became common but it is related to some technology like fabric. Fabric is usually configured using some orchestration like DNAC and them, LISP is part of the process.

The way you put it, it seems to me that you want to setup LISP just like you could setup let´s say BGP or OSPF. It that the case?

I know LISP is actually an IETF protocol and as such must have many other utilization but I am ask from the perspective I have seen it being used so far.

View solution in original post

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

LISP itself does not support to carry L2 across the L3 core. LISP only support to tunnel L3. This is the reason why we have VXLAN, to carry L2 segments across a L3 infrastructure.

So, it is possible to have a stretched L2 across a L3 core, with VXLAN, MPLS and so on. But not with pure LISP.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi

Just for curiosity, can explain what is your goal ?   I´m asking this cause LISP has became common but it is related to some technology like fabric. Fabric is usually configured using some orchestration like DNAC and them, LISP is part of the process.

The way you put it, it seems to me that you want to setup LISP just like you could setup let´s say BGP or OSPF. It that the case?

I know LISP is actually an IETF protocol and as such must have many other utilization but I am ask from the perspective I have seen it being used so far.

Hi Flavio,

Thank you for your comment, however my goal is that  rasmus.elmholt has already explained!

I want to just to use LISP for L2 segment like VxLAN however the LISP itself can not carry it out.

Best Reards,

Masanobu Hiyoshi

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

LISP itself does not support to carry L2 across the L3 core. LISP only support to tunnel L3. This is the reason why we have VXLAN, to carry L2 segments across a L3 infrastructure.

So, it is possible to have a stretched L2 across a L3 core, with VXLAN, MPLS and so on. But not with pure LISP.

Hi Rasmus,

Thank you for your comment! Now I understad the LISP specification.

Regards,

Masanobu Hiyoshi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: