Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SDA Access Point Fabric Role

AhmedBassiony
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

we did a provisioning for full SDA switches+WLC+access points, when we checked the fabric menu, and we clicked the AP icon, we got an error message that the device isn't eligible for fabric role. 

Any reasons for that, although we upgrade the APs and WLCs (9115 and 5520 WLC) to

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ahmed,

I am not Jonathan but work in the same team. Yes, you should get an error message if you ty to assign a role to an AP.

AP's are a special kind of client, and their subnet should be added to the INFRA_VN in the Host Onboarding workflow. The roles in fabric are Border, Control Plane, Edge, WLC and Extended Node. 

I recommend you have a look at BRKEWN-2020 in the On-Demand library at ciscolive.com (https://www.ciscolive.com/global/featured-on-demand.html) . This content is free for everyone. This session is a detailed review of SD-Access Wireless, its components and their operation.

There is also an SD-Access Design and Deployment Guide (based on DNAC 1.3.3 , but concepts and most workflows are the same as 2.1.2.x) at https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center/deploy-guide/cisco-dna-center-sd-access-wl-dg.pdf .

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking and Cloud Group

View solution in original post

Hi Jonathan,

As i agree with you, you to go the provision page and select the respective and place them on the site and on the AP group.

that's has been done and the its moves the AP in the correct AP groups and everything is shown correctly and the task is completed.

But when we go to enable the Fabric on the AP it doesn't show up. it keeps saying that error.

It doesnt provision regardless its been provision it say's blank. and when tried to provision it it popup that error

screenshots-ap-provision.jpg

Any help to make it work it would be great.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jonathan Cuthbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Access Points are not provisioned the same way the other fabric roles are provisioned. 
You provision them using the Provision page. 

Hi Jonathan

thanks a lot for your reply.

so this error message isn’t a bug on DNAC, right?

Ahmed,

I am not Jonathan but work in the same team. Yes, you should get an error message if you ty to assign a role to an AP.

AP's are a special kind of client, and their subnet should be added to the INFRA_VN in the Host Onboarding workflow. The roles in fabric are Border, Control Plane, Edge, WLC and Extended Node. 

I recommend you have a look at BRKEWN-2020 in the On-Demand library at ciscolive.com (https://www.ciscolive.com/global/featured-on-demand.html) . This content is free for everyone. This session is a detailed review of SD-Access Wireless, its components and their operation.

There is also an SD-Access Design and Deployment Guide (based on DNAC 1.3.3 , but concepts and most workflows are the same as 2.1.2.x) at https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center/deploy-guide/cisco-dna-center-sd-access-wl-dg.pdf .

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking and Cloud Group

Hi Jonathan,

As i agree with you, you to go the provision page and select the respective and place them on the site and on the AP group.

that's has been done and the its moves the AP in the correct AP groups and everything is shown correctly and the task is completed.

But when we go to enable the Fabric on the AP it doesn't show up. it keeps saying that error.

It doesnt provision regardless its been provision it say's blank. and when tried to provision it it popup that error

screenshots-ap-provision.jpg

Any help to make it work it would be great.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

AP is onboard devices that need to provisioned manually or automated process as per my understanding.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi,

I have done that and manually doing it No Authentication and Closed AUthentication and it has reachability 

dear all,

I think its a cosmetic bug on the DNA as soon i put my WLC in the fabric and i check my AP status for fabric it say's fabric enabled with RLOC, L2 and L3 Instance ID is present.

But i will definately get a option from Cisco TAC for the same if this is just cosmetic or something else.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: